You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:19 pm 

The mother of a girl in my daughters ballet class told me monday that she has special bags of stickers and other non-food goodies for my daughters. A few weeks ago she asked if I drove my daughters around to peoples houses we know to trick or treat. I said yes, we go to my moms and to a friends house who makes a special loot bag for them. But, that is about it. She lives between my house and my friends house, so she figured it wouldn't be to far out of the way to hit her house, so she put together lootbags too. I thought that she was really thoughtful, especially since she is pregnant and over due. She was due last saturday, but said that regardless of where she is, her mother (from out of town) will be at her house handing out treats and to stop by.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:18 pm 

What a sweet and thoughtful lady. You are lucky to know her.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:16 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
The mother of a girl in my daughters ballet class told me monday that she has special bags of stickers and other non-food goodies for my daughters.

It's so wonderful and thoughtful when people extend themselves in this way... I met a woman recently who has since become a good friend who also showed this kind of caring. She is always checking with me about ingredients / foods that my son can have - is calling companies about possible cross-contamination etc. and giving me information. So much more than even some family members have done. My son and her son will be going out trick-or-treating together this year and she's made sure that all of the candy she's handing out is "peanut and nut free" (my son's allergy) and while I know that this doesn't help all food allergic children - it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Also, the ideas given here about posting a sign on Hallowe'en asking food allergic children to identify themselves and having non-food treats for those children is a fantastic idea and something I'll definitely be doing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:45 pm 

Tonight while handing out treats, I had the door open and some kids threw eggs at the kids trick or treating at my door. My front porch was covered in eggs, it splashed on me (on clothes and hair )and it was all over my stucco. All night my daughters were handing out treats. What if my egg allergic daughter was at the door when this happened. I was really mad about the whole situation. Many of my neighbors came over to clean it up. They know that my daughter and husband are allergic, so they wanted to help clean it up, so we wouldn't have to risk it getting on us. Gotta love hallowe'en.

I did hand out three bags of assorted non-food treats to allergic children. One boy who was allergic to nuts was very excited to get something special. He went running from my door to his parents shouting "I got a flashlight, and activity pages and some other cool stuff!!!"

A few families on my street also had special stuff for my kids. They each got a coloring book, stickers, hallowe'en toys and even money from one lady who remembered when my kids were at her door that they have allergies and she had nothing for them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:54 am 

You, your Husband and children are having a hard time with the these "Holidays".
We do not have the egg allergy, touch wood. We were egged in July by some young boys. That is really awful what was done to your home and even the other children going to your home. You seem to have some nice neighbours though....
Kelly

Post subject: saskmommyof2
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:56 pm 

I am very sorry to hear that. I am very, very sad in my heart for you and your family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:40 am 

There was a group of about 8 kids at my door when the egging happened. The kids were older, about 11 or 12 and they thought that they knew who did it. It was an attack on older kids and not our house personally...or I would be worried it would happen again. I made sure to ask the group if they were okay, or if any of them had an egg allergy. Fortunately, none of them did. It does however make me concerned for my daughter and other egg allergic kids while out on halloween. I would hate for any kid with an egg allergy to get egged by other kids!!!

Note to self...trick or treat early, be home by dark, always go with daughters even when they are 12. I could always wear a mask so I look like a kid out trick or treating so I don't embarass them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:23 pm 

Just wanted to "bump" this up given the time of year...
My son is already talking about the "Great Pumpkin" and what he'll leave for him in exchange for his peanut/nut treats :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:24 pm 

Saskmommy,
I know we have similar alleregies with our kids. In your post you mentioned hickorey sticks. I didn't realize that these were safe. Thanks for the idea. We too do the Great Pumpkin thing adn my kids love it.
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:29 pm 

Has anyone seen the new Nestle commercial? I caught just the tail end of it, but my son keeps seeing it and thinks it's great everytime.

Something to do with people in costume going into Nestle, and security stops a ghost. When they take off the sheet it's a peanut.

(I'm hearing this from an eight year old who can't stop laughing, so it might be confused.) Sounds cute anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:48 pm 

Yes Anna - I saw it the other night...very cute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:28 pm 

The other thing that has really helped make Halloween easier is to make sure everyone is full of their dinner before we go, otherwise everyone wants to eat the treats on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:33 pm 

That's a good idea, Pam. I should make sure they get a cupcake for dessert as well before they go out so they've had enough sugar to last the night (maybe)!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:55 am 

I'm pretty excited about Halloween this year. We've introduced the idea of the Great Pumpkin to our daughter and she's pretty excited about it. I'm also going to be buying non-food treats for anyone with a food allergy. I have no idea how many we may have in the neighbourhood though.

I also saw at Costco that Play-doh has a bag of 80 tiny containers for about $12 for Halloween. I was happy to see that. Not so good for wheat allergies I know but it's not food!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:04 am 

I saw the Nestle commercial yesterday and it's hilarious!! Love it.

I've bought orange and brown Halloween Smarties to shell out this year. My 15 year-old is now too old and too cool to go trick or treating :cry: They grow up too fast! Mind you, she'll be dipping in her sister's treats, I'm sure.

I'm surprised you guys can get your kids to eat before trick or treating, mine were way too excited when they were little!

I saw these cute individually wrapped Halloween treats from Vadeboncoeur at Shoppers. Each individual wrap has the mention "Peanut/nut free factory" or something like that.

However, I really like the idea of non-food treats for Halloween. It's brilliant.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next