You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:12 am 

I don;t think my girls will end up eating any candy this year. With milk allergy, you don't really get too many acceptable things. There are lots of people who hand out peanut free...even my allergist gives out nestle chocolate (and I think, but what about the rest of the kids who can't have milk...and there are lots of them). I was surprised to see my allergist oblivious to the kids with allergies that are not peanut.

My girls just give all candy to the great pumpkin. They are more than willing to exchange candy for a prize (dvd or toy or game). They don't like candy anyways. Luckily, my mom and some neighbours get fruit to go or pencils, or stickers for my girls. We pretty much just go to close friends and neighbours anyways. I might actually go to some other neighbours we know in advance and drop off stickers/pencils etc. to give to my girls.

I was wanting to give out pencils or stickers this year and NOT food of any kind...but my husband thinks we'll get egged if we don't give candy :roll: . So. I feel held hostage to giving out candy. Anyways, I will put up my sign to notify allergic kids to speak up and let me know they have allergies. It worked well last year. The few I had were so excited that I had extra stuff for them (flashlight, toys, activity pages)! We were happy to make them feel special on a day that excludes them so much.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:57 am 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
I was wanting to give out pencils or stickers this year and NOT food of any kind...but my husband thinks we'll get egged if we don't give candy :roll: .

Nonsense! Kids love getting something other than candy. I know my kids do! The best part of their trick or treating house is a place that hands out stuffed animals. The lady ows a bowling alley and her hobby is playing with the claw machine that gives out stuffed animals as prizes. She collects them all year and hands them out at Hallowe'en!! :lol:

I think you could kindly suggest to your allergist to hand out non-food items.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:29 pm 

My son has started to really hate Halloween. I have in the past had him help me hand out peanut free snacks after we have gone to the immediate neighbours. Not quite the same thing as going out for the treats. Last year, though, we went out to BC's Government House where there was a jack o'lantern display. Then we went trick or treating at the House where the Lieutenant Governor was dressed up and handing out apples that he could have! And, after a brief sword fight with someone who works there (but not the LG), he did feel a bit better. We are going to look for a special event again this year, because he wasn't so upset with what we did last time.

As for the goodies, this year I am thinking of asking him to exchange his limited loot for a toy or book he might like. The trick in making this work, though, is having some support from his 11 year old sister, who is allergy free but does NOT need the amount of sweets she collects because, well, it just ain't that great for a person. If I get her on board, we will have the great pumpkin pick up the treats and replace it all with something they want. If I could be convinced it would be worth an expensive LuLu Lemon (fancy yoga gear shop) pair of sweat pants, my daughter might be into it. It is a struggle! Anyone have tips for people with sibs without allergies and how to handle Halloween?

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:04 pm 

Caroline2, I am actually surprised that you have another child. I like the idea of her swapping the candy too, and for cool clothes...that idea just might work.

I have thought about finding somewhere (community centre, school gym) to put on a "food free" halloween party. A party full of games, crafts and other fun. My youngest was too little last year to not be a "major handful" while planning such an event. I am thinking about it this year though (or maybe next?), but I'm not sure who would volunteer community centre/gym time or if I could find a sponsor for $ for crafts and games and advertising. I also would hate to plan a party and have no one attend. Any thoughts?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:44 pm 

ANY food-free activity sounds like a dream! If it were in my community, I would definitely attend with ds. Maybe it's something I can start in my new community in Wpg (moving in 1 month!).
What if this could actually become a national thing every year, with sponsorship from allergy product companies? Of course we can't have a food-free party for every holiday, but since Halloween is such a big one for kids, it would be nice to offer a safe, fun option for them!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:50 pm 

I really like the idea of a food free Halloween party. I think it would also appeal to parent's of diabetic children :)

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:40 pm 

Boy, I love that Great Pumpkin idea! We are definitely borrowing that one this year.
I'm always really proud of my sons on occasions like Halloween. They really take not being able to have all the treats that the other children can in stride. There definitely is a character building aspect to having allergies...self control, delayed gratification, a strong sense individualality. I know it's tough on them sometimes, but they sure are learning some valuable life skills.
All that being said, I think the Great Pumpkin is going to come to our house and spoil them rotten this year anyway :lol: .

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:21 pm 

HI all,

Before I had my now 3 year old (anaphylactic to milk, wheat, eggs, soy, peas/lentils/legumes, peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish ... that we know of!) I used to be a primary teacher.

Celebrations in my class were either as food-free as possible, or limited to fruit etc. (I had a great Principal who supported that!). At the time, I was motivated by things other than allergies (I hadn't had a relationship with anaphylaxis until meeting my little boy!). I suppose now I would take food out of the equation entirely.

For Hallowe-en, my grade 1s brainstormed things we could share that weren't food related (again, the motivation at the time being to move away from junk food).

Kids are brilliant, and came up with the following list (there were more cute ideas, but my memory is fading just a little ...): homemade Happy Hallowe'en cards, book markers, pencils, erasers, stickers (there was a Dollerama in my school community), homemade thank you cards (i.e. "thank you for visiting me for Hallowe-en".) ... I think we also wrote and handed out our favourite candy (or other) recipes for people to make at their leisure.

I was completely inspired and haven't handed out food/candy since.

Hope everyone out there is enjoying a healthy day.

Smiles,

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:52 am 

Great ideas, we have lots of peanut/nut free treats already bought but I'm loving the idea for any food allergic child to get non food treats. Another trip to walmart/dollar store will be in order to pick up some great little goodies and bags. I love it, one thing I'd love to find would be halloween toothbrushes to give out. How cool would those be?

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:44 am 

My son has a wierd allergy. It's to coca even a little bit will effect him. He knows that he's not allowed to have it but he will try all all costs to get into it. At school he has been served it many times even if I bring in his own treats :evil: At holloween we pool the treats with all the kids and he has many safe foods for him to choose from(we loak the candy up!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:48 am 

In school I give my kids non food items to share with the class. Last year we gave glow sticks to my son's class. The jk last year had 3 kids with peanut allergies so I didn't want to risk it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:13 am 

Mommywithplenty, do you mean cola? I have never heard of a cola allergy. How does he react?

And do they actually give kids cola at your kids'school? That is really, really bizarre. I have never heard of a teacher giving cola to kids. As if they need the caffeine and the sugar!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:27 am 

No - she means cocoa.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:40 am 

Oops. My bad. I thought it was strange that they would give cola to kids, but from some of the posts, I wouldn't be surprised. Cocoa is not that much better, it has caffeine and sugar as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:02 am 

I was absolutely shocked by what parents would feed to little kids last year when my boys were in Kindergarten. The instructions were to bring a healthy snack for everyone to share on your snack day, we were even given a list of suggestions (whole grain cracker with 100% real juice etc.). And you wouldn't believe what was brought in... everything from orange pop and tim bits to chocolate covered rice krispy squares with Sunny D. And the kids whose parents did send them with something healthy would end up feeling bad, because the other kids would complain that today's snack wasn't a treat like yesterday's. Obviously my sons were eating their own food from home, but I found myself letting them have sweets way too often as well last year, just so they wouldn't feel left out eating carrots while all the other kids had chocolate cookies. No wonder childhood obesity is such a problem!
And back to the Halloween topic, I have my boys all prepped with "Great Pumpkin" stories, and they are SO excited about leaving their dangerous candies on our doorstep to be replaced with a safe gift, and safe treats. I thought I'd be dreading Halloween this year, but I think it's going to be super, super fun! This forum is such a great rescource! :D

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next