You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: feeding delema
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:07 pm 

Hey all I'm trying to figure out what to feed my 4 yr old. He keeps Turning EVERYTHING down. And I dont' have many choices that I know of anyhoo.
He's ana to milk and I'm just running out of ideas. Does anyone know of any good cook books to get, or a great place to shop in winnipeg. Need more time to cook, but I don't have much. It's a shame all the fast ready stuff out there and we can't have any of it. Plus I'm sick of cooking two different things all the time. Thanks for the help. Much apperciated.

Me - Hay fever to Cats, Dust, milk, rag weed, tabacco, tomatoes, feathers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have a good library in town? Check our the cookbooks they have.
I asked for and recieved 4 cookbooks for Christmas the first year our daughter was diagnosed with egg and milk allergies.
To be honest, I really only used the Food Allergey and Anaphylaxic Network Cookbook.
Once you find your substitutes, it will not be hard to convert regular recipies to milk-free ones. You can also use Google (the internet search engine) to lok up recipes milk-free on line. I copy and paste interesting ones into a file using Word. (I amnot computer savvy!) I find that I can look them up here when needed. I also send them to my mother so that she can make french toast for her grand daughter when we visit.

For no dairy you might try chinese foods, cabbage rolls, stews and chilis, roasted meat and root vegetables (mmm harvest time is here!), fresh fish and rice pilafs. Most vegetarion diets rely on cheese, youghurt and the like but if you investigate Vegan diets you wi find many creative alternatives.

All is not lost and hey, dairy is one that most children outgrow! Here's hoping. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:26 am 

Thanks. I gues I just need more time in my day as well. Sometimes I feel like I have none. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:40 pm 

Hang in there Kym. Remember it's the age also - not just the allergies that make eating difficult. If it is just milk that needs to be eliminated there are many options. There is peanut butter (lucky you!), many store bought soups are milk free, make pizza without cheese (my daugher loves ham and corn pizza - odd but she likes it) - Pillsbury pizza dough is safe. We have just found a place to buy Tofutti soy cheese slices and they make great grilled cheese sandwiches. My picky son likes them. Tofutti also makes great soy cream cheese and soy sour cream that is surprisingly like the real thing. We have found that soy milk can be substituted in most recipes for milk with no change in taste. That way you wouldn't have to make 2 meals. Our large Shopper's Drug Mart has a specialty section with milk free products - Amy's brand has some ready made milk free entrees. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm 

Thanks so much for all your help. I'll have to look around for that tofutti soy cheese slices. I know I give Zach the Tofutti vanilla ice cream and he loves it so yeah that would be great. Some of our shoppers carries that but i found they discontinued alot of things i guess only I was buying them ? who knows. just gotta sreach more. Thanks again for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:19 pm 

We have no one locally who carries them...so we stock up when travelling in alberta. Save on foods carries them (thats where we get it in alberta)...do you have save on foods? We don't :cry: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.