You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Lipton soup noodles
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:58 am 

I posted this question under the Food Labelling thread ( http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55 )
but I haven't seen any responses yet. I'm wondering if anyone with wheat allergy would have a response to this:

I called Lipton today regarding their Lipton Chicken Noodle soup. (It's a package that includes 2 pouches of dry soup mix, each pouch makes 4 bowls of soup.)
I called because, as noted previously in this thread, the ingredients list includes "noodles" but doesn't say what the noodles are made from. My son's daycare asked me if I am familiar with Lipton because they have 2 children who are egg-allergic.

The telephone rep was helpful, she said the noodles are made from durum semolina, she told me that means wheat, and she specifically told me the noodles do not contain egg (even though I hadn't asked about egg - they must get this question often).

She also said that Lipton does use "may contain" labelling for the top-10 allergens.
The box of soup I have in hand does say "may contain traces of milk ingredients".

I was very happy with the response and the service, however after I hung up I realized that for those with wheat allergy, the labelling may not be appropriate. The label does not state that the noodles are made from wheat.
Further down the ingredient list is labelled "hydrolyzed soy/corn/wheat gluten protein". Is this sufficient labelling for those who are allergic to wheat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:48 pm 
If it is clearly listed in the ingredients, then that is all the law entails. And it is. So technically, it's okay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:55 pm 

We avoided wheat for three years, and I pretty quickly realized that large manufacturers would never use something other than wheat to make noodles. So while it would always be nice to have clearer labelling, I would say that, for me, that would be enough.

You have to search pretty far and wide to find rice noodles or corn noodles, and they are a lot more expensive. Wheat is just such a staple of the North American diet that I would expect for the majority of people, they wouldn't know that noodles could be made out of something other than wheat. (Assuming they realized that noodles ARE made out of wheat. Perhaps this is more what you were asking...?)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:27 am 

Well, the initial reason I called the company was to confirm if the noodles contain egg, which they don't.
But I guess my question on the forum was more just me being unfamiliar with wheat and wheat gluten. I don't really know what "hydrolyzed wheat gluten protein" means. Is being allergic to wheat the same as being allergic to wheat gluten?

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject!

Karen, regarding what you wrote about wheat being such a staple of our North American diet.....I have read very briefly about our dependancy on wheat and I found it eye-opening. I decided cutting down on wheat would be a good thing for our family, at least to try. Then I tried to shop wheat-reduced on my last 2 shopping trips, and came home sooo frustrated at not being able to find anything made without wheat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am 
I have celiac disease which is different from a wheat allergy.
Wheat allergies are similar to other food allergies, where as celiac disease and the inability to absorb gluten is an intestinal disease as opposed to an anaphylitical allergy.