You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:53 am 

My daughter is 5 and allergic to latex - the only incident we have had is hives and swelling around her mouth when she blew up balloons. However, she has had anaphylaxis to foods so she carries epi-pens etc.
Does anyone know much about latex usage at schools? We are careful with erasers and elastics - but we certainly don't ban latex erasers from the classroom.
Any other thoughts? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:46 am 

My youngest son's school does not allow latex balloons, and the bandaids and gloves that they buy are non-latex. However, other students can wear latex bandaids to school. (That son is not allergic to latex, so I've never really looked into what latex is at school.)

Is your daughter in school yet? and have you spoken to them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:50 am 

Thanks for your reply. She is in JK and daycare. At the daycare they ban latex balloons and have stocked non-latex bandaids and gloves. At the school I have provided the non-latex bandaids and gloves and her class has been warned not to bring balloons. Any thoughts on erasers or anything other stuff? I have heard that some balls may be latex.

Post subject: Latex in the classroom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:28 am 

yes, there is plenty of latex in schools that can be controlled..mostly sports equipment, erasers and elastics, but our childrens school has a habit of cutting open tennis balls to put on chair legs to protect the floors and the powder from inside is released each day....I have had reations from library books, paperwork and just picking up my kids.
While it is true that latex will still be used and brought in by others it is a good idea to educate the school and teachers (and provide written instruction/resources) and to have your child change their clothes if an exposure is suspected to remove any residue and protect yourself at home. Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:49 pm 

Being someone that suffers with Latex allergies, I have found that over the years reactions can be triggered with someone simply having a pesticide applied to their lawn. The actual compound that I react to is called Thiurum (?) I was told that this compound or something similar to it, can also be found in White-out. I know that there are pages of things that I am sensitive to but there are the big ones like paint, pesticides, insecticides and herbicides. Carpet cleaning and those chemicals are another big one. The list seems to go on and on. I would make sure that if your child has a latex sensitivity/allergy, that you pack them their own latex-free band-aids to use in case of a cut or scrape happening on the playground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:57 pm 

Have you confirmed that there is actually latex ingredients in the pesticide---or is there a possibility that you could be reacting to the pesticide itself? If the former, do you have any links/sources? I'm asking because my one sister has an (unconfirmed) latex allergy---she has never reacted severely, but she gets hives, redness. She also reacts to some sort of pesticide (as does my other sister who doesn't have a latex allergy).

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 pm 

I find if I go near a lawn that has been srayed I have bad reactions to it (eyes swll shut,trouble breathing). I have always been sensitive to latex but just recently I have started to get bad reactions. Just going near bolloons makes me feel like I'm going to die!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:29 pm 

They just did flu shots where I work. About 3 people were out with mild reactions. (Of course I don't take the shot because I'm allergic to eggs.)

Just a note of warning...one of our ladies is allergic to latex. She reacted to the rubber septum on the vial of vaccine. She does not have an Epi, takes blood pressure meds, etc...so, of course, I gave her my allergy spiel. Will keep working on her to get an allergist in our area; she moved her earlier this year.

Daisy
Shellfish, tree nuts, eggs, sulfites

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:59 pm 

Sanofi and Glaxo Smith are both latex safe this year!! My first time ever being vaccinated!! Yippeee!