You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:30 am 

Hi,
Well my hubby and I attended the expo on Saturday.
I must say it was a bit smaller than I thought it would be...it sure didn't help that there was a huge clothes show across the road but there were a lot of booths and some good info out there. There were more stuff for food allergies than I would have thought...would have liked to see more on asthma related products and perhaps more push on allergie triggers and the public. I say that because quite a few vendors had on tons of perfume or after shave stuff...yikes...and a lot of products had big time scents.
But all in all it was a great show and quite informative.
Sue

Post subject: Attenting Allergy Expo
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:17 am 

My Husband and I went on Friday evening and Saturday- a large part of the day.
We enjoyed the talks that we attended.
I found the slide shows that went with the talks very postive, their were jokes put into some of the topics.
We also stayed to listen to friends who talked, Karen Eck and Sara Sabrinia's Mum.
Yes, we did notice a few smelly booths-but did not go near them.
I had my asthma check out there and did well.
We had a great time and found it educational but not boring.
I also met some nice people from differnt places.
I was astounded at my small family reactions (they have been ill and we only visisted them while in the GTA) They were making such a big fuss about it, expecially the anaphylaxis (which I have to many things), it was like it came out in the open !
Not like I was not ill so to speak all my life, but when your whole family has allergies and they are excited it is interesting to watch.
Mind you my Nana is a 92 year asthmatic so she hasseen a lot changes in the treatment and the social side of have allergies.

Last edited by Kelly on Tue May 17, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:56 pm 

Yes, I attended on Saturday and it was also smaller than I thought it was going to be. Regardless, it was a great opportunity for me to further educate myself on my son's asthma and peanut/nut allergy. I came away from the seminars and discussions with various professionals feeling more empowered -- I was really glad I attended! I too wondered about the perfume, etc. and the effect this would have on an asthmatic person attending the show -- interesting no one thought of this beforehand...
My mother and sister attended along with me and it was wonderful to see them more fully understand what I face as a mother to an anaphalactic/asthmatic child. I look forward to attending again in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:54 am 

I went with my 3 yr old daughter on Saturday morning. I also thought it would be bigger, but I wasn't disappointed by the size. I went mainly to see the products and vendors, and of course, Dora the Explorer. My daughter, however, was very disappointed in Dora. I thought they could have put a little more effort into Dora's appearance/spot, since they did advertise Dora as a special guest.

Overall though, I'd go again. I got to try new products, speak to some very well informed people, and I especially liked the ask the doctor booth. (BTW, I thought they did have a lot of asthma info).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:56 pm 

I attended allergy expo as well--it was definitely worth it! I learned so much.

I was interested to hear that avoiding diesel fumes, chemicals, pesticides, etc. is a good idea for highly allergic people. I wonder if that will become advice as standard in the future as the advice re: smoking.

I had no idea that 'oral allergy syndrome' could cause an anaphylactic reaction.

Hearing the Shannons and Karen Eck (I hope I got her name right) speak was inspiring.