You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:11 pm 

Hello Everyone :D

I am the parent of a 9 year old peanut and tree nut allergic daughter. We will be taking our first steps into out of country travel in May and wanted to get some tips from anyone who has travelled by car into the US. Our ultimate destination is Disney (no surprise here) starting from Toronto.

We will be travelling the I-75 or I-95 route down to Florida and was hoping someone could offer some advice about 'safe' eating establishments on the way or in Kissimmee.

We will be taking along a cooler / warmer and packing some of our own foods just in case, but it would also be nice if we could stop on our two day jaunt.

Some of the 'safer' places to eat that I have come across in other boards are Denny's, McDonalds, Burger King to name a few.

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks in advance. :) - Antonio

Post subject: Restaurants in Disney
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:13 am 

Hi Antonio,

Sorry I can't specifically recommend any places to eat along the way, but I wanted to tell you how good my experiences have been eating at Disney restaurants. One tip is to try to reserve ahead of time, so you won't experience huge waits. My husband always tells them about my allergy when he books so when we arrive they already know about it. At several of the restaurants the chef came right out to speak to me which made me feel great. One good one is 50's prime time cafe which I believe is in MGM. Your kids would quite like that one. Wishing you a magical experience!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:45 am 

Anotonio

we travel quite a bit and both my son and child have a very sensitive peanut allergy. While we haven't driven to Florida our experience has been pretty much universal. The larger the chain, the better the chances are that they are both educated on food allergies and cross contamination and have specific procedures in place to accomodate you.

We've also been pleasantly surprised by some smaller restaurants where the staff have really gone above and beyond to accomodate us. We also find it is all in the approach, being helpful and educative wherever we go even if they can't accomodate us we are most appreciative when an establishment is honest and tells us the risks. The worst sign is when the staff is apathetic or indifferent -- run from these places.

Lastly I want to second soccormom's comments on dining at Disney. It is by far the best experience. We've been twice in the last two years and both times the staff have been unbelievable. Cooking special meals, taking us through the buffet, letting the kids ask questions and even offering to run to other restaurants to get a dessert or specifically ordering in food for our children (e.g. safe ice cream).

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:24 pm 

Are there anymore travel tips for Disney World?

Any Tips for flying Air Canada?

My daughter and I both have allergies, and I usually just mention my allergies at the gate, and to the flight crew.

I usually use many wipes, try to keep our immediate environment controlled. We bring our own food of course.

On one flight, I was on by myself, the flight staff said they weren't serving nuts, but unfortunately I was sitting immediately behind business class...they were served 2 types of Salmon snacks... :shock: ...made me nervous since I also have a fish allergy, and tend to react to the smell. I did OK though.

Any other specific Disney restaurants that are good???

We will have a kitchen and groceries while there, so will rely on that alot.

Ruth