You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:44 am 

I'm so glad that this potential new school seems so allergy aware. I know how difficult the past few weeks/months have been for you.

It really does make a difference to your quality of life (that of your and your FA child) to have a community that "gets it". I hope that your DH can see his way to helping you move to a more allergy aware and more supportive school.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:40 am 

You know, if you do move to a more supportive school...its only October...its not like they are way to far into the school year for a move.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:13 pm 

I agree with the others -- I'm sure it will greatly improve your quality of life to know that your son is being cared for by people who understand the seriousness of his allergy and genuinely care about making a safe environment for him to thrive in. Think how much better he'll also feel knowing that his envirnoment is a safe one. If he's going to have to move next year anyway, why not make the switch now? It doesn't mean you give up or let go of all of the work you've done up until this point with your current school / the administration -- but at least you'd be able to continue that work with some peace of mind about your son's well-being. Just my opinion...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 pm 

Well, I have certainly have considered switching him to the other school. We have a few hurdles, though, not the least of which is that there is a waiting list to get into this small school.

But there are also other major issues. One is that my husband, who is very supportive of doing all we can for our son and managing his allergies, has expressed concerns with me that I am being a little overwhelming right now. This year our son has a great teacher, and a good set of core friends (who ARE allergy savvy and their parents do not send peanut products to school) in that classroom. It is also a very wonderful school on many other levels, with programs here that are not available at the other school. He is also in school with his sister -- this is the last year due to their age gap -- and they do check in with each other at lunch time and have that extra comfort that they are near to a family member. These are no small considerations when deciding to stay at our present school.

So when I mention the possibility of a move to my husband, he wants me to take a reality check and not make the mistake of doing what our son hates the most in his life, which is to define his life around the fact that he has an allergy. If I were to move him now, it would be upsetting to him because he is with the friends he has known for four years. It would be making his allergy more important than the comfort of his school life and friends and even his sister's support. My husband reminds me that the support of his little community is vital, and here we are known. We do not have all the protections offered, but we are working on that. It is a tough choice, so please understand I doing what I think best for our family, even if I myself wish things differently. It is one of those delicate balance things. :wink:

As for work with the school superintendents....I spoke with one yesterday, and she said that because of my concerns, they are going to rewrite parts of the templates going home to parents. She understands that there is most certainly room to better inform the whole school community of the severity of anaphylactic allergies and how their actions (bringing in the allergen to the school) can affect the level of protection afforded to the student with an anaphylactic allergy. She said that these templates are used in all four southern Vancouver Island school districts, so there will be many students better protected because of these changes. And she says I will be involved in the process of approving these changes, which is currently happening with 20 or so upper school board representatives of the four areas. She also added that her own personal awareness has been raised a lot, and that every time she speaks to me she understands my concerns that much more. She sees allergies as much more than a physiological concern, and that there are also social implications about living with them that need to be addressed in the school policy. I feel like, albeit slow, there is some definite progress being made here!

Caroline2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:06 pm 

Caroline I totally "get" that your son doesn't want to be defined by his allergy. His vote certainly counts! You have to do what is best for your family -- I'm sure it's a decision that you and your husband have spent a great deal of time contemplating. I'm so happy to hear that progress is being made at the administration level! You are doing a lot of allergic children and their families a great service :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:30 pm 

The "balance" is one of the hardest parts.
I commend you for your decision, for what it's worth. You and dh obviously had a lot of factors to consider.

It's so great to hear the bright spots in your story. Next year your son HAS to change schools, and you know you are going to one that is more aware. What a great feeling that must be! AND all your hard work with the school board is starting to payoff.
What a credit to you, knowing they want you to be involved in the re-write. Obviously you have spoken for so many others who haven't been able to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:27 pm 

Ah... those other factors are certainly important ones to think about. I didn't realize all that was involved as well. I agree that your son's vote obviously counts too. :)

Best of luck with the decision. Obviously you're a very caring mom who only wants the best for her child!

And that's great that you appear to be making some headway with those in the school system.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:47 pm 

I might slowly be getting somewhere....
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1553
Caroline2