You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Resources?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:42 am
Posts: 222
Location: Victoria, British Columbia
What do you consider to be the *ultimate* guide to getting information on an allergy to peanuts? Books, websites -- where do you go when you want a definitive answer to a nagging question?

My nagging question right now: What amount of a peanut can cause an allergic reaction?

As you may know from the "Schools" thread, I am desperately trying to get peanuts and peanut butter out of my son's classroom. I was talking to a person who said every exposure -- including smelling peanuts -- counts and has the potential to make the next exposure worse. It is NOT good for him to be around peanut products -- and I want to be able to tell my school in no uncertain terms we are playing with dynamite to have him in that classroom with peanuts, and I want a source to back me up. Right now I have the AAIA pamphlet on peanuts that says 1/7000 to 1/70,000 of a peanut is enough to trigger a reaction. Anyone found anythings else? What about smelling peanuts?

Thanks for any help!
Caroline2

_________________
son anaphylactic to peanuts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:10 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Clarington
Ideally, if you can cite more than one source for your facts it will give more credibility and if those sources come from someone in the medical field-all the better. Start with your own allergist-would they be willing to write a letter to help your quest?

About your nagging question-I recall hearing from Dr. Peter Vadas at the Allergy Expo held in Toronto that 1/1000 of a peanut was enough to cause a reaction. This was a couple of years ago so this amount may have changed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:21 am
Posts: 687
Location: Cobourg, ON
The ultimate guide should be the new document, Anaphylaxis in Schools and Other Settings. This is consensus statement of the allergists and the allergy associations. It does clearly state that minute traces of an allergen could cause a reaction. Whether it is 1/ 1000 or 1/ 1000000 who cares? The document is published recently and is probably the most credible source any of us can draw on. If you don't have a copy order one from Anaphylaxis Canada or look on line at allergysafecommunities.ca I completely understand your concerns. I would choose the sources that you use carefully. You don't want to hurt your cause by using old facts or myths. Good luck.

_________________
13 year old daughter -- lives with life-threatening allergies to milk, tree nuts and peanuts; seasonal allergies (birch, maple, ragweed); pet allergies; asthma; and eczema
10 year old son - no allergies


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
Dr. Weisnagel's site is the most comprehensive----basically, it is a review of all the medical studies on peanut allergy that he could get his hands on. . . and he provides references to all of the studies.

http://www.allerg.qc.ca/peanutallergy.htm
On the threshhold dose issue, see "threshhold doses" on this page. He also addresses the possibility of reacting to the "smell" of peanuts (if you can't find the section, let me know, and I'll cut and paste here). He doesn't take a position . . . he is just reporting the various studies, but there was one paper in which a doctor in fact concludes that it is possible. But he didn't do a clinical study on it . . .he is probably relying on his clinical experience. (Also see, however, the section on peanuts and air travel.)

I find allergic communities to be helpful in that it deals with multiple food allergies and gives people the tools they need to come up with an anaphylaxis management plan. . . but it doesn't address the problems of our family adequately since two people in my family react when peanuts or peanut butter are in the area and one person has had a systemic reaction to contacting minute amounts of nut protein. In some ways, I liked the document that the allergic communities site replaced better because it acknowledged the risks with contact:

http://www.oma.org/phealth/allergy.htm


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group