You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Commmunion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:21 pm 

Noticed this topic on the peanut board but was wondering about my son and his first communion and sesame allergies.
I know we have one woman who has wheat allergies and she just has the wine at communion.
Any experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:56 pm 
Hi there,
I have celiac disease so I do not take communion. Does the communion wafer have sesame seeds? I'm just unsure why your son couldn't take it (sorry!), but if that's the case, they do make a 'low-gluten' host (it is not gluten-free, so why it exists is beyond me, as I still couldn't take it), but maybe it is sesame seed free.

I hope that might help some!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:24 pm 

About the gluten-containing wafers, I think it depends on what church you go to . . . the official line of the Catholic church (at least in the States) is that the wafer does have to have some gluten in it. But I know in some other churches (my experience is with Protestant ones) they do provide gluten free bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:25 pm 
helen, that is interesting - perhaps they make it themselves. there are 'gluten-free ones' available, but they aren't - they are just low gluten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:36 pm 

The communion wafers are made by nuns. I am just concerned b/c I have yet to find a bread product that has not come into contact with sesame seeds somewhere in the production line.
The actual communion wafer has no seeds, I am worried about cross contamination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:46 pm 

my great-aunt, bless her soul, used to be in charge of the wafers for her parish. She did I don't know how many wafers in her life! :-)

The wafers were made in a dedicated room, with nothing else ever being made there. The nun has to clean herself properly. There's a whole ritual there.

I'm not concerned about the actual wafers. I am more concerned about the hands of the person giving me communion. What if that person ate a peanutbutter toast that morning? They do have to wash their hands too, but I trust them a bit less than the nun.

So far, we haven't had a single problem. My son is the one with the allergy, and he did his First Communion last June.

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:08 pm 

laurie15--I'm not sure whether people bring their own gluten free bread in my parents' church or what. There are a number of people who are either allergic/intolerant to wheat or have celiac disease. but it looks like ener-g makes a gluten free wafer---

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=BreadProducts&id=21&cat=15

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:10 pm 
Helen, yes, thank you. Now I remember seeing that. :)