You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:10 pm 

Ok, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that children with food allergies can tend to be quite intelligent. I am only bringing this up because I want to know if anyone else is experiencing what my family is. My daughter started to read at 15 months, can count to one hundred at 26 months, knows all her shapes and colours, knows where all the provinces are in Canada, can remember things from 6 months ago... Is there anyone else who is experiencing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:12 am 

Yeah...mine are pretty smart too :wink: . I too have heard that their are a lot of smart kids out there with allergies. My oldest pretty much taught herself to read phonetically at 4 1/2. My yougest is now beginning to read small words and it seems she is reading phonetically as well (made the mistake of saying "feb" instead of fed in a book where a child was being fed). When you say your daughter read at 15 months...do you mean the odd word recognition or something more? Both my girls could type their names at about age 2. There is a great FREE learn to read phonetically program at http://www.starfall.com/ that my youngest really enjoys. It has really helped her pick up on the sounds of letters.

My youngest is adding things spontaneously. She'll say things like (for example we babysat the last few days) 2 kids + 2 kids =4 kids. 3 gilrs + 1 boy = 4 kids.

My oldest is working on grade 2 spelling, grade 2/3 phonics and has nearly completed grade one math. She can print pretty well and likes to write letters to people a lot. She's getting good at figuring out phonetically how to spell words and can often pick up when the word "doesn't look quite right"...so she'll ask me for help...but tends to remember it for the next time. She has also picked up on how to multiply small numbers and knows fractions a bit. That's probably from all the baking we do...and how we place cookies and perogies on a baking sheet in rows and columns. We also have a working toy cash register that the kids play with a lot...and I noticed my oldest is starting to make change. We are homeschooling, partly because of allergies, and partly so she can work at material that is interesting and fun to her (she would probably be bored in kindergarten, she was in preschool and always felt "different" partly because of food and partly because of { for example} already knowing how to read, when the class was learning their letters.). She's really happy at home.

And...I must admit...its nice to talk about how well the girls are doing sometimes, not just the troublesome allergy stuff. Rachel, how old is your daughter?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:31 am 

I'd be interested to kow more about the allergy-intelligence connection. My son has always been advanced for his age, was a very early reader and has a remarkable capacity to retain information. I chalk it up to being introduced to books early on in life and heredity but perhaps the allergy connection is a factor?? Any research out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:56 am 

Hmmm... Interesting.

My daughter is on the honour roll and her friend who has peanut/tree nut allergies is in a gifted program.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:46 am 

I agree (but don't we all just sound like the boasting parents, eh? :lol: ). But I'm often surprised at my son's memory for detail and people always commented on his speaking ability from a very young age -- I also chalked it up to heredity and our love of books and story telling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter is very intuitive, mature and has a large vocabulary but she is a normal child in terms of reading, writing and arthimatic. I think that the allergies force them to grow-up quickly.
Most 4 year olds can go to an amusement park and enjoy the rides, the food and the atmosphere. They go home with cotton candy in their hair and thoroughly pooped. Our children are keenly aware that mommy or daddy has scoped out the nearest hospital, have calulated how many minutes away it is and have sufficient Epinephren to get there. They know enough to not simply hop up on the picnic table bench but to wait until we wipe down or cover up any surface they might come into contact with. There is no question of can they have a candy appe as the candy apples are on display and do not have wrappers let alone an ingredient label.
Our children don't need to go into the fun house to be scared, life is scary enough.
(Sorry if I sound bitter, I have a bad cold and my husband has taken our daughter to his mothers for the weekend. I'm feeling the loss of control over her environment. :roll: )

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:00 pm 

My son knew his ABCs and count to ten by the time he was 1. He can read some words and names already and he is 2 1/2. He knows his colors, but he has problems with them. I think he is color blind, he keeps mixing up the greens and reds.
Some things he seems behind on though. He refuses to eat with utensils, and he runs away from me any chance he gets. Maybe that's normal though. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:07 pm 

Hi Saskmommy2!
My daughter turned 2 in July... She is reading easy books now but has a HUGE range of words that she can read. I really like the website that you forwarded to me, I am going to show that to her tomorrow, it looks really fun!
I read the post from susan. I agree, our kids do have to grow up fast or, at least, they have to learn how to be responsible for themselves at an early age. I have started to point things out for my daughter that she cannot eat. Poor kid started to cry when I showed her peanut butter at Safeway and I told her that it would make her sick. Poor kid. I decided to then show her a bunch of things that she could eat. Also, it's just part of routine now to wipe the table when we go anywhere. It's kind of cute, she wants to wipe it too! :D I sympathize with the feeling of lost control this weekend with your kids away. I would be a nervous wreck. :oops:
Yeah, we're in the same position as shai, my little girl runs away at any chance! I've been tempted my those leashes that you see some toddlers in, but I just can't bring myself to do it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:09 pm 

I shamefully admit that I have one of those leashes. But my son likes it and it's fun. It's a monkey that hugs his back, like it's taking a piggy back ride, and the leash part is a detachable tail that hooks to the monkeys butt. It has a zipper in the back so it works as a backpack too. He likes it so much he wears it around the house. He always says, "monkey on my back" and bugs me until I put it on for him. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:12 pm 

I always felt those things were a good idea for little ones who like to run away, and I'm pretty sure I had one for my "littlest monkey" when he was quite young and quite apt to do a runner. I'd rather see a child in a little harness than lost or hit by a car...!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:49 pm 

I got one after my son decided to run across the street and play tag. Thank goodness that it happened when we were picking up my daughter from school so everyone was driving slowly. I went that very night and picked one up at Wal-mart.

Carla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:54 pm 

I was trying to find the silver lining to my daughter's allergies when I came across a website (gifteddevelopment.com). According to that website, 44% of gifted children have allergies, most notably milk.

By the way, this is my first post here and I am just trying to come to grips with my nine month old daughter's allergies. Is there anyone in Edmonton that could help give me some advice and moral support? Send me a PM if you can help.

[Edited by Karen to remove poster's email address at the request of the poster.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:33 pm 

My allergist has mentioned that there is anecdotal evidence linking high intelligence with allergy. It may not be causal (i.e., not all allergic individuals), but perhaps there is a correlation due to a shared allele in some cases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:58 pm 

I could not find where that was mentioned on the gifteddevelopment.com site. I have come across a lot lately via my homeschool chat forum...about gifted kids with "heightened sensory perception" that tend to be aware of things through their senses which are not noticed by everyone. One example is skin itching by tags, tight clothing and wrist/ankle/neck/waist bands, itchy fabrics, and chemicals. Other people (myself included here) have unusually good hearing. The heightened sensory perception may be problematic in some regards (difficulty concentrating in class for kids with heightened hearing), but have their benefits in other areas such as musical talent. Unfortunately lots of gifted kids with heightened sensory perception get classified as learning disabled and/or "ADD/ADHD" when they have trouble concentating in a classroom which is extra noisy and distracting to kids who hear really well.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:02 pm 

Here's where I read that 44% of gifted children have allergies. Scroll down until you see the heading "Medical Issues". The other facts are interesting too.

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/pg.htm