You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:36 pm 

I'm afraid of needles so I prefer pills.

Very disturbing indeed. I know someday I will kick the bucket because of some mislabelling. There is so few things I eat and it seems it gets thinner every month. *sigh*

Quote:
youngvader, the only time I trust the labelling of a company is after I have spoken to someone.

Even that does not guarantee anything. You could end up speaking to an idiot who just wants to get rid of you and who tells you whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:01 pm 

At first I thought you meant someone might want to *off* me, when you said get rid of me. I figure, they'd have to know me before they wanted to *off* me. :lol:

Anyway, yes I agree. Nothing is 100%. In fact, if I'm to be totally honest - there are a few products I eat that I have never called about. Not very many - but a few.

Like you, I figure it's going to be mislabelling that gets me in the end too. But, I've learned that it won't happen until it's my time, and until then, I'm going to try to enjoy things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:49 pm 

I'm so happy to learn there is a safe, sesame seed-free bread product on the market! I'm gonna have to stock up on Weston English muffins!** Youngvader, that's a great suggestion regarding using the English muffins for hamburger buns - thanks!

**8 Jan 2007: Note from Karen the Moderator - Weston English muffins are no longer safe for those allergic to sesame seeds.

I'll have to investigate Dempsters further for their sesame/nut-free facility, as well as sunflower seed. I would be interested, Anne Marie, if you find a Dempsters product free of sesame/nut/sunflower, and I can determine if it might be safe for my son. We do avoid all sunflower seeds and oils; however, my son's allergist indicated that the sunflower oil may not be of concern since the oil is often so refined prior to use in the product that the allergic component is no longer present (or something along those lines). She said we could attempt 1 - 2 potato chips that are now being made using sunflower oil (Lays/Ruffles). With the move towards 0 trans fat, we're seeing a lot more products using sunflower oil, so more things to avoid. However, I digress...

I had to laugh, Anne Marie, about your use of multiple bread makers! We certainly think alike, because that thought crossed my mind yesterday. I resurrected my old bread maker yesterday, and have made 3 loaves already! I went over to Walmart to check out a new breadmaker that makes larger loaves of bread, since mine makes small ones. Any recommendation for bread makers? I was looking at the Black and Decker model, but would be happy to hear of more.

And one thing further about sesame seed... even though it appears on Canada's top 10 most common food allergens, it is not included on the USA list (likely, those on this forum allergic to sesame are aware of this). I contact FAAN regarding this, and they said they were aware that sesame allergy is on the rise, but it's not yet a requirement in the U.S. to include it as one of the most common allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:41 am 

Quote:
With the move towards 0 trans fat, we're seeing a lot more products using sunflower oil, so more things to avoid.

Yeah, that pisses me off.

AnnaMarie, I would not even know what to *off* someone means. Afterall, english is my second language. But I'm guessing it has something to do with **. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:47 pm 

nnnnnnnoooooooooo!

To *off* someone is to kill them. (like gangster style)

I think I better explain this.

You said: "You could end up speaking to an idiot who just wants to get rid of you and who tells you whatever."

What I first thought you meant was that they might intentionally lie to me to intentionally cause a reaction. (To get rid of = to off = to kill). Now, when I re-read what you wrote, I figured you meant it more like, a person I'm talking to on the phone will just want to shut me up (To get rid of = to shut up = to hang up the phone).

You did NOT say anything wrong - or in the wrong way. I just have a really weird sense of humour, and when I read it wrong I thought it rather funny that someone who never even met me would want to kill me - usually it takes a few meeting first. ;) As for shutting me up - many have tried. :lol: And when it comes to food companies - I'm sure they'd just love to succeed. :P

(English may be your second language, but you do better with it then many who speak and write only english.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:09 pm 

Why thank you. :) My gf's first language is English and I am a translator but there are some little things that sometimes escape me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:48 pm 

Thank you, youngvader, for your suggestions in using English muffins as hamburger buns, and Pillsbury dough for hot dog buns - we've used both suggestions, and it's a relief to find a safe product (in terms of sesame seeds)

I do plan to make buns using our NEW breadmaker - yes, we've gone ahead and bought a new Black and Decker breadmaker to take the place of our still-functioning 12 year old Multichef breadmaker, however, this new breadmaker makes a 2 lb loaf instead of a 1 lb loaf, so I'm happy about that. We won't have to make bread quite as often (either that, or we'll just end up eating a lot more bread! :oops: )

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:45 pm 

When I find a new product, I always call the 1-800 number and question them just in case. As far as an alternative for a hamburger bun, we use Pita Break products. They have the mini pitas and a little burger can be stuffed in there quite nicely. They are Kosher and free of preservatives.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:08 pm 

Some of the Dempster's bread that I used to eat is no longer sesame safe. :cry: They now have a *peanut free* symbol on their packages, but a sesame seed warning.

We are now down to one bread that we can buy. It's in a foil package. I hope they don't take this own away from me to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:11 am 

Isn't the POM bread safe, Anna Marie? It's the one I used for years and I never had any problems with it. The white bread, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:22 pm 

From what I've seen, POM is only available in Québec...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:10 pm 

Never heard of POM.

But, previously there were 5 different safe breads, plus some flat breads that I could eat. Now, I'm only positive of one of them remaining safe. At least two are not safe, the other two were not in the store - but I'm not expecting them to be safe either.

What a tease!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:21 am 

Well I live in Quebec, so that's probably why I'm the only one who's heard of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:56 pm 

Anna Marie, in addition to using our new breadmaker, I was still on the hunt for a sesame/peanut/tree nut/egg-free bread, and I believe our family has found one. I've called the manufacturer, and it does sound okay. Maybe it might be okay for you? I've been buying the bread in our local grocery store (The Great Canadian Superstore (formally Loblaws)). It is from the Dimpflmeier Bakery Ltd, 22 Advance Road, Toronto. Tel: 416-239-3031. The particular bread we are buying is called "Munich Style Rye". This bakery has more than one manufacturing plant, and one of the plants does have sesame seed, but apparently this one does not. The ingredients read as follows: unbleached wheat flour, natural spring water, rye flour, sour dough (rye flour, natural spring water, bacterial culture), yeast, salt, skim milk powder, buttermilk powder, cultured whey powder (whey and bacterial culture) ALLERGY IFORMATION: manaufactured on equipment that processes products containg soya.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:56 pm 

Julie, I finally called Dimpflmeier's. That you VERY MUCH for the information.

All their bread facilities are peanut/sesame free. Their buns facility does have sesame seeds though.

But, this means I can now have some variety in my breads.

I spoke to a woman who said that she felt their organic breads would be safest because they are strictly controlled - to have the organic label. However, I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. I think the regular breads sound safe.

She also said that when the breads are delivered to the outlets they are in closed packages, so no risk of contamination there either.

Again, thanks. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next