You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New to site!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:54 pm 

Hello, I'm a mom of 5 kids located in ontario. My 7 year old has allergies to coca and was asthmatic constantly from 5 weeks to 1 1/2 years he still has odd attacts (at least once a year) which end up with him in the hospatal. His coca allery has not been diagnoses because his dr told me that there are no testing for coca. My son gets rashes,throws up and goes psychotic (violant and not himself at all) for a few days. I have a severe allergy to shellfish and carry an epi pen I haven't been back to see an allergest for a few years so I'm planing on going to get tested again. I have developed asthma and have skin allergies. Last time I was tested I got a gold star! My recently biggest trigger is cigarettes just the smell will give me an asthma attack(I can't wait until smoking is tottaly banned).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:56 pm 
Hi there,
I'm relatively new, too, I'm also from Ontario.
Welcome! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:32 am 

Hi Mommywithplenty -

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've found us. Good for you to figure out what causes your son's symptoms.

And good idea to get to an allergist yourself!

I hope that you find the forum helpful.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:51 am 

Welcome! I just posted a message on testing for chocolate under another thread (in response to one of your posts). . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:51 am 

Hello i am new to this site and am the mom of a dd who is anaphalatic to cashews and pistachios and advised to avoid all tree nuts. I am not sure where to put this so i thought i would do it here. There is stuff that my daughter has been eating before we found out about her allergies now looking at the labels alot of these have may contain labels. I was wondering if i am playing with fire by allowing my daughter to continue eating this stuff even though she has not had a reaction so far. Any ideas or help on this would be appreciated. thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:08 am 

Hi and Welcome to the site Momof1g! You'll find a lot of really helpful information and really supportive people here. My advice to you is to avoid all "may contain" food items. The thing of it is that your daughter has been fine up until now -- however, "may contain" means just that, it may or may not contain it. It really is like playing russian roulet with your daughter's life - there is no way to predict what food item will or will not have traces. I would also make sure that your daughter stays away from processed peanuts (and peanut food items) as most peanuts and treenuts are processed in the same processing plant and shelled peanuts are most likely contaminated with tree nuts. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:47 pm 

Hi Momof1g! Welcome to the forum.

I agree with ethansmom that it's not a good idea to consume "may contain" products.

See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=788 for an earlier discussion about this, including some info from me.

Take care!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:39 am 

Thank You all for the help. Being new to this it is very good to be able to get help like this. I now understand a little more about this it is very confusing trying to figure it all out. So thank you once again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:05 pm 

:D Hello I’m new to this site. I have two children. My youngest is severely allergic to
Buckwheat, Butter, Casein, Cheese, Citric Acid, Coca-Cola, Cocoa, Corn, Egg, Fish,
Malt, Milk, Nuts, Oat, Orange, Peanut, Pork, Popcorn, White Potato, White Rice Flour, Sesame Seed, Shellfish, Soybean, Tomato, Sunflower Seeds, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Wheat Bran, Wheat Germ and Wheat Gluten. I have had him tested since he was 2 years old and usually go to his allergist and his pediatrician to have blood work done for his allergies every other year. So far we keep adding more and more foods that he is allergic to. Yesterday was a really bad day. I have not seen my son break out in hives in a few years. We went out to eat for lunch and got home and my children got into a fight and my daughter slammed his hand in the door. I finally calmed him down and I have had him on his nebulizer for the past 2 days. So I said ok lets get working on your nebulizer. When he finished his nebulizer he was full of hives. I know he gets a few hives on this medication but he cannot tolerate any other medication for his nebulizer treatments. He is ok now but yesterday was a nightmare. I hope to see what this website has to offer. Thank you for letting me join.

Alice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:18 pm 

Hi Alice,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you had your hands full! Hope your little guy is better.

You have a lot of allergies to deal with. Hope this forum helps you!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:15 pm 

Hi, I'm Lauren and a recent incident has made me become re-aware of my anaphalatic reaction to tree-nuts. I came here because it looks like a very supportive group and also to have somewhere to talk about about my food fears when my fiance calls me "crazy" and "paranoid" every time I read a label or call a company. So, hi. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:14 pm 

Hello and welcome,

Yes, lots of support here! And the magazine is great, too.

My husband is avoiding all of my allergens, and "cheats" with seafood and nuts and eggs when he travels. But he is getting better and better. On occasion, he still complains about not being able to go to certain restaurants. Can't really blame him as this is one of my biggest complaints, too. :wink:

Does your fiance avoid tree nuts?

Welcome,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:48 am 

For the most part, yes, my fiance does avaid tree-nuts, but every now and again he'll treat himself to some rockyroad icecream... and then I avoid him like the plague for the rest of the night.

Daisy, I definately share your experience. I can tell he's starting to get fidgety about not being able to go to just any old restaurant anymore. I'm becoming a better cook each day as a result :P

thanks for the welcome.