You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:43 am 

Hi – I am allergic to the air in my office. Can anyone offer advice please? I’m new here.

I have had allergic reactions since I started a new job. I am allergic to dust, dander and milk, and also have eczema. When I started this new job, my skin became inflamed and I had a mild allergic reaction which has become worse. As a result, I started taking antihistamines before going into the office and used a HEPA filter in my office. That helped for a while, but I still showered as soon as I returned home, took naps to ward off the fatigue, and started using corticosteroid ointments to try to control my inflamed skin. The office is dusty – even with the HEPA filter and tape over the air vent, dust still is evident on surfaces in my office. I work in a hi-rise office building.

Recently, I had an attack that caused my allergies to surge, my skin to become severely inflamed and itchy, and my throat to constrict and itch (this has never happened to me before). I left the office midday after speaking with my manager. I think this episode corresponds to the building turning on the winter heat, but I am unsure. I told my manager (who already knew about my allergy) and initially he was understanding. I worked from home had hoped they would help me find a solution. I work in an office building, in a “desk job” which requires little interaction with other people in the office.

Now, I have been told that I must go into the office or use a sick day. I have spoken with HR and a “medical services” group at the company but they have not offered any kind of solution. I don’t know what to do. I felt trapped - I need the job and really just want to do my work.

Can anyone offer any insight or suggestions about where I can turn for information? This has never happened to me before and I don’t know what to do.

Thank you! Sarah

Post subject: Air Quality Testing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:02 pm 

Have you thought about requesting the air be tested to make sure that the air is safe? I worked at a company and a colleague was getting sick and this is what they requested. (Air Quality Control).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. The air was tested, and I did appreciate that the company did it. I was told there was no mold, (which is great) tho I never saw the report. I may very well be allergic to lots of dust in the air, as dust does settle on most surfaces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:10 pm 

sarah,

Sorry about having trouble at your new job!

Are you currently seeing an allergist? Have you been tested before?

Take care,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:31 pm 

I saw an allergist 10 years ago and he said that because I have eczema, I am "sensitive" to a number of things but not severely allergic to any one allergan. But, he was one doctor I saw years ago - I'm sure the tests have changed by now and I should try an allergist again. Historically I have seen dermatologists because I have ezcema, but my allergies have become worse over time. Maybe I can pinpoint the source of this allergic reaction. I am so tired of people asking me if this is a reaction to "stress." Ugh!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:33 pm 

Hi again,

I would see an Allergist, instead of a Dermatologist, especially since your throat symptoms have flared. That can be very serious. New allergies can develop at any time.

And a good doctor can be an advocate for your workplace problems. He may even have some good suggestions for other environmental controls.

Good luck,
Daisy

Post subject: I completly...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:15 am 

....agree with you comment about "stress".

I was treated very poorly in the hospital a few months ago as a result of a belief my allergies were "stress".

I recently went through a situation such as yours. I hope things are looking up for you. I am allergic to a particular building at school...I think it may be poor ventilation and increased dust in the building. Luckily they just moved me class out of the building.

Good luck and keep strong!