You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food triggered asthma
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:48 pm 

Does anybody have food related asthma on this forum? I have read that it is pretty rare, but when tested for soy allergies, my youngest daughter had a wheal, but since she drinks soy milk everyday, the allergist said it was nothing to worry about.

However, she switched to soy milk about 2 years ago, because she always had a sore stomach and nausea, and the dr. couldn't find anything wrong with her :roll: I suspected lactose intolerance and she has been better since she's been off milk, but she has developed asthma in the past couple of years, and I wonder if there is a connection between developing asthma and switching to soy milk.

I think we'll take a break from the soy milk for a while to see if it helps her lung function, but I wanted to hear from others who might have experienced food triggered asthma.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:19 pm 

hmm oddly i found my asthma better after i stopped drinking cow's milk and switched to soy milk because cow's milk can produce phlem which agrivates everything.

if you're not sure what's causing the problems have you thought of keeping a food diary hor her? you know marking down everything she eats, then write in what her symptoms were like that day even something simple like good, fair, average, bad, very bad (if she's old enough she can do this herself) then go thru the days it and highlight what are the same on all days that are "bad" or "very bad" and maybe get some more ideas, and if nothing else then when you go back to the doctor you have more then just you saying well i think that when she eats this she reacts like that you have it written out and s/he can look for patterns as well (if you haven't already done something like this)

i know when i did my own food diary it took me less then two weeks to discover that sugar agrivates my skin condition for some reason it was definatly worth the time to write out what i was eating! good luck