You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:21 pm 

Thanks...I read through lots of stuff on that site and never stumbled across that. Wow that's a really large percentage. I noticed it also mentioned sensitive to tags.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:48 am 

Intelligence tests in patients suffering from chronic rhinopathy

In 100 patients referred to the allergy clinic of the First Otolaryngological University Hospital of Vienna because of chronic rhinopathy an exact allergy diagnosis was carried out, comprising anamneses, skin tests and laboratory tests (Rast, Prist). The test results have yielded two or three diagnosis groups: patients with rhinitis vasomotorica nonallergica, rhinitis vasomotorica allergica, and pollinosis. In addition, in all patients an intelligence test by means of WIP (a short form of HAWIE) was carried out. The IQ of all patients tested is, on the average, significantly above the average of the normal population, the variation in all three groups being significantly below the average of the normal population. The reason for the low degree of variation is that patients with low IQ values were missing. Earlier tests carried out by this clinic (allergy-screening test in 3500 school pupils) had shown that the percentage of allergy patients among pupils with low IQs (special schools) and other children (secondary-schools) cannot be assumed to be of a varying degree. This fact demonstrates that although allergy patients with below-average intellectual ability do exist, they obviously do not consult the respective special clinics. This paper tries to explain this phenomenon and suggests that the socially lower strata be increasingly informed about the problem of allergy.

http://tinyurl.com/68o33m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 am 

That study also said it was done on children with IQs over 160 which is an absurdly high IQ.

From the quality of the posts on this forum my guess is that the parents here likely have higher IQs than average so I don't think 'we' are a good sample for wondering if kids with allergies are more likely to have IQs...

Having said that, it is an interesting connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:38 am 

Our son has a monkey backpack 'leash'. He wears it happily but only if he gets to walk and hold the leash!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know our son is already learning the allergy lifestyle. If you ask him for a kiss he will lean in and turn his head putting the side of his head against your face. He will not kiss you but will make the sound of a kiss.
He seems extreemly intelligent when it comes to how things work and open etc. but aside from lots of noises he isn't talking much yet.

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:47 am 
Site Admin

BC2007-Don't worry too much about the talking, he's probably just developing another skill right now. My daughter was an early talker, late walker; my good friends daughter was an early walker and late talker... Now they're both running around gabbing all of the time!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:50 am 

Thanks Susan, Our little guys' too busy working on his slapshot :D , our daughter plays hockey so he has spent many hours watching her shoot pucks in the basement etc.. He seems in no hurry to talk but he has a wicked shot with the mini stick and our poor walls have many dings to prove it :D

Our daughter was very early to walk, talk, read etc. so I really have to sit back and remember that this is a different child who will develop at his own pace and not panic. He took his first few steps at a year and then never walked again until 14 1/2 months. One day he just decided to get up and away he went, now I've never sat down

:D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:28 pm 

my son's doctor actually just told me that he finds that many kids with allergies and eczema are often quite intelligent. my so is 19 months and knows all upper/lowercase letters and sounds, has started to count and has an impressive vocabulary. his cousin who is allergic to nuts is gifted. so weird.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 pm 

Ok, you know what I'm gonna say too. Yes, both of them, very intelligent. I read that list on that site and both of mine fit in there very well...except for this. BC 2007, when you mention the talking thing. When DS was young, he was very difficult to understand. I took him to a speech patholigist with the public health unit and worked with her for a few months as it was found that he was having a few real specific issues that we worked on for quite a few years actually. (even now, as the kids really tend to talk fast these days)There are some sounds he has real problems saying even now. If I had not advocated for him, I really don't know where we'd be now....and all because he couldn't make his tongue do certain things. Here in Alberta, it was quite a challange getting him the help he needed in playschool and kindergarden as the PUF program was just starting, I think. By advocating, I mean I took my lunch and a book and sat and waited for the admin guy w/the school board to do something after a few :roll: months of waiting. It was all set up in a half hour or so and he was helped by a great teacher's aide and speech person. We all worked together on this, and I am so happy I looked into this a little further. If he were not understood, I'm sure school would have been a whole different issue.On the other hand, DD could have had tea w/ the Queen on her second birthday and held a conversation. DS probably could have too, just no one could understand him, and if you asked him to repeat himself, he was smart enough to think of another way to say it without the sound he was having trouble with..he got very good at that :lol: Now, he enunciates very well when he wants to. in a deeeeep voice. :wink:

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:15 pm 

Another reason for it could be the amount of cuddles and parental contact kids with food allergies get. I remember learning in our prenatal course that kids with colic usually end up with higher than average I.Q.s - something about all the person to person contact... It makes sense, I know we held DD pretty much non stop for her first 6 months, as she cried non-stop from the dairy she was getting via my breast milk. Once she was old enough for rice cereal and broke out in hives and started vomiting, which, as scary as it was, was also a relief, like FINALLY something concrete to go to the Dr with and find out what was wrong. She was a whole new baby within 2 days of eliminating dairy from my diet, but still gets a pile of hugs every day!