You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: milk,egg,peanut free
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:02 pm 

I am looking for some good muffin recipes geared towards kids that are dairy, egg, and peanut free. I have tried a couple from the Food Allergy Cookbook, the oatmeal one which I add a few dairy free choc chips and also tried the blueberry muffin. Both are good (a bit crumbly I find). I would love to add a few more to my list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:10 pm 

When I was a kid, my mother always made egg, nut, and dairy free muffins from regular recipe books--I can have dairy, but neither of my sisters can. She simply added 1/8 of a cup of water for the egg (one can add extra oil and leavening agents as well), substituted water for the milk, and left out the nuts. I guess I wouldn't know what muffins taste like with egg, but they tasted great to me without it. They just don't rise as well. I guess the one advantage is they are low in fat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:46 am 

I find though that the muffins tend to be quite crumbly and my son is not wanting to take them to school. I have tried substituting with oil,water,b.powder a few times with some success but again crumbly. I guess that is just the way it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:21 pm 

I suppose I just didn't know what I was missing!

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: egg replacer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:04 am 

Hi there, my daughter is milk and egg allergic so I encountered similar baking problems. I also found the texture just didn't work for things like cake and muffins when using the b.powder/oil/water combos to replace the eggs. Then I stumbled upon a great product called Kingsmill Egg Replacer. It is a powder sold in a box equivalent to 100 eggs. 1 tsp. of powder plus 2 tbsp. of water equals 1 egg. The texture is much better because it contains guar gum which holds things together better. So I bake just about any recipe, just using the egg replacer and soy milk and of course milk-free margarine or shortening. This product is available locally in the maritimes at the Atlantic Superstores (in the natural foods section, next to the pharmacy). It is also available directly from the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children's Specialty Food Store, which is where I discovered it (on their website). The website address is: https://www.sickkids.on.ca/sfs_site/sho ... ervice.asp
It is only $5.99 Canadian. This website has a bunch of different allergy-specific foods that you can order online. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:24 am 

Thankyou for the input regarding the egg replacer. I will definitely look for that and give it a try. This sounds like what I am looking for. It will try the Superstore in Bayers Lake.

Post subject: egg replacer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:37 am 

Hi Bev, no problem. Let me know what you think. I still haven't found a really good birthday cake recipe. I have tried the one off the food allergy network website both with the b.powder/oil/water combo as well as with the egg replacer and still find it dry. Have you found any decent recipes? My daughter's birthday is in 3 weeks so if you have any suggestions please let me know! Thanks! :)

Post subject: birthday cake
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:51 am 

You could try the following recipes from allrecipes.com

Chocolate Cherry Upside Down Cake
Eggless Milkless Butterless Cake (a spice cake with raisins)
Grandma'a Eggless Butterless, Milkless Cake (a moist chocolate cake)
I have tried these and enjoyed them.

There is also a "Great Vegan Cake Recipe" at www.ivu.org/recipes/desserts/great.html
I tried a double recipe of the orange version and everyone loved it. Personally I found it slightly oilier or heavier than a regular cake but the flavour was very good. The double recipe takes a lot longer to bake, especially if you do it in a round pan. about 50 to 60 min

My daughter is milk allergic too (anaphylactic) and these cakes were recipes I found. Now we have more options because she is not allergic to eggs. I have a very good Molasses Cake Recipe but it contains eggs. I suppose you could try it with an egg substitute- maybe the molassess would help glue it together. The Molasses Cake recipe is at allrecipes.com
Sherry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:14 pm 

Justonemom, the chocolate cake called Wacky Cake is delicious. I put it in the recipe section here a while ago. You have to make it. All the kids love it and adults as well. I made one on the weekend and added some dairy free chocolate chips and it was a hit. I also put some sprinkles on the top. I usually make the decandent chocolate icing from the Allergy News cookbook. If you want the icing receipe, let me know. I usually use parchement paper so it doesn't stick to the pan and I always double for birthday parties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:50 pm 

For the eggs, I use ground flax seeds with cold water

For the dairy, I substitude soy or almond milk, rice milk is also good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:38 am 

I finally found the Kingsmill Egg Replacer and it works great. I have tried a few recipes and they turned out great. The muffins are not as crumbly. This will certainly be a stable in my house and thanks for mentioning it.