You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:10 pm 

If doctors would take us seriously, it would really help! One allergist I had started to trust told me once that anaphylaxis is not at all possible with simply inhaling (after I described what symptoms I had and that they were "growing")... and 3 months after, he was relieved that I was still alive after a reaction and told me "you may be one of those exceptions...you may want to avoid the smell too..."! Never saw him again after that! I was young and stupid, but never again!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:26 am 

Mylene,

I've had similar experiences when asking about reactions to the smell of allergens, although if I react at all (I'm 75% sure that I do to heated peanut oil--I'm not certain about the smell of nuts) my reaction isn't that serious. I would actually feel more reassured if my allergist were to ask me why I think that I'm reacting and would discuss the issue with me.

But I have a good allergist, and he is helping me with other issues. I'm trying to get my information from a variety of sources---and I take all advice with a grain of salt if it does not match with my experience or the experiences of other people whom I know.

I can certainly see, though, why you wouldn't want to go back to the allergist after your near fatal reaction!

Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 am 

Mylène wrote:
If doctors would take us seriously, it would really help!

Just to add to my previous post---yes, I think it would totally help if doctors were to take us seriously. It is upsetting for me when I feel I'm not taken seriously because I feel like if my doctor doesn't take me seriously how can I expect people who are not as informed about allergies to take me seriously?

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:40 pm 

Getting the doctors on my side has been real challenge for me (bad luck I guess)... I even had a certified allergist tell me he didn't test for food allergies as food allergies were "not real"!!!!! He didn't want to renew my Epipen prescription as fish could not kill me, just bee stings and I didn't have that one.... Not a self-proclamed doctor, a certified allergist that didn't "believe" in food allergies! He was able to convince a few people I know before I told them to get tested by someone else because he was nuts! He stopped practicing not long after that.

Wonder why I try to stay away from allergists :?

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:01 pm 

Never went to an allergist. My doctor prescribes my epipen, my astham medication and listens to me and gives advice regarding food allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:09 pm 

Mylène wrote:
Getting the doctors on my side has been real challenge for me (bad luck I guess)... I even had a certified allergist tell me he didn't test for food allergies as food allergies were "not real"!!!!!

No one in my family has had an allergist quite as bad as yours, Mylene, but my mother had a difficult time trying to get help with my youngest sister's eczema. She was actually born with it, and my mother (who had read up on allergies on account of me and my other sister) knew it was eczema, but the doctors claimed that was impossible. According to the medical textbooks at the time babies under 3 months of age do not develop eczema. It was clear that she had some sort of skin condition, but they couldn't say what it was exactly. When she was three months, she was sent to an allergist and diagnosed with eczema. Then the allergist wouldn't believe that she could possibly have had an allergic reaction to the creams he prescribed.....but that's another story.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Inhaled Reaction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:45 am 

On Sundays I go out and during 5 weekends they had " Soups for Charity "
Well, because they were not to have any Shellfish (my worse) and any fish soup
I continued to go..
Well, I had anaphylaixis one day when I went in. They made Clam Chowder.
Now because of this they are to annouce the week before if they are to have any FOOD!!!!!!!!!!
I am very happy about this, it is a postive outcome for all in my Community.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:58 pm 

I have broken out in hives while entering a grocery store with a strong smelling fresh seafood section. This physical reaction you can see, so it bothers me that it is called a myth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:46 pm 

I attended AllergyExpo in Toronto this weekend, and a few allergists mentioned the inhalation reaction issue. On Friday, Dr. Peter Vadas discussed the fact that researchers do not know what the threshhold level is for peanut and other allergens. He mentioned that there is anecdotal evidence that a reaction is possible from airborne particles (and that this would indicate that the threshhold is very very low.) Dr. Leith was asked about this issue in the question period in today's 'ask the allergist' session, and he said that they are hearing a lot more these days about these reactions. It was comforting to know that inhalation reactions aren't simply dismissed as a "myth" after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:36 pm 

The word is finally out there that we exist!!!! That's great news!!!!

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:08 pm 

I was to the Allergy Expo and found the Doctors and the question periods very interesting.
I was amazed that you could be given phenobarb for this disorder ( topic was asthma) in the 60 and 70's.
I found that I felt much better about my reactions and even our shared hayfever.
I quess we are finally being taken serious.
We are now entering a change in the History of medical science.
This is great!!!! :D

Post subject: Recent Allergy 'Expo'
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:50 pm 

Please share more info on your experiences at the recent allergy expo. re: More insight on what any one of you learnt. This sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:16 pm 

monty wrote:
Please share more info on your experiences at the recent allergy expo. re: More insight on what any one of you learnt. This sounds interesting.

Sure, but I'll put my posting in "other allergic topics" under the subject "allergy expo."
--Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that, Lisa. A reminder to others - the topic here is shellfish/fish airborne reactions.

Post subject: Safe Restaurants ???
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:32 pm 

Hi,

Fairly new to this site. How great to see that others share my concerns! (But wishing you didn't share my problems) I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

I live in the States and have allergic gastroenteritis that has progressed in the last 2 years. Now I have an inhalant reaction to fish and shellfish in restaurants.

Anybody found safe places to eat?????

I had a reaction last Spring at our fav. Mexican restaurant; they served steak and shrimp fajitas to the table behind us. (Can you imagine explaining this to the ER Doc?)

I also have TNA, EA and sulfite sensitivity, but to a lesser degree than the shellfish.