You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:53 pm 

A thread about allergies to vaccines was started at http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=30 .

The conversation is continuing here. :)

K.

Post subject: allergic to vaccinations
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:33 pm 

Thanks to Karen for setting up this new discussion, which continues a thread dealing with allergy-safe margarines...

Hi Saskmom,

Apologies for the delay in replying -- I've been sleeping off a bad cold for days!

I'm shocked to hear about the way both the public health nurse and the emerg. doctors handled your daughter's reaction, not to mention the advice you've been given since then. Given her history, it just doesn't seem to make any sense to give her this vaccine again. As you point out, who knows how much more serious her next reaction could be? And what about the fact that not *every* anaphylactic reaction is able to be stopped in its tracks by Epinephrine? What a drag to have to fight this battle. But as you say, it's ultimately your call.

My daughter is 3 3/4 (she'll be four later this month). She was 2 1/2 when she reacted to Pentacel. (We were a bit late giving it to her). She has started JK and I have not had to fight with anyone about suspending her immunizations. I generally support immunization, but not when it's guaranteed to result in anaphylactic shock! So Bridget will not receive Pentacel again.

You know I'd completely failed to notice the bovine ingredient in Pentacel. That does seem like a likely culprit, but as you point out, your friend's child who is milk-allergic has not had a problem with Pentacel. How old is that child, and how many of the Pentacel vaccines has he or she received so far? Since your daughter reacted on dose five and mine reacted on dose four, it does seem like something that can build over time.

I just looked at the ingredients again and am wondering about the albumin. It says the vaccine contains "less than 0.05% human albumin." Do you know what that means? Does it hav eany relationship to egg? If so, maybe that's the problem?

I am going to make another appointment with Dr. Vadas to see if we can find out more about the reasons for my daughter's reaction, and I'll let you know what happens. He can be a hard guy to see, so it may be a couple of months.

Congratulations on home-schooling your kids. Lately I'm feeling like I might as well have gone that route. I've been in my daughter's JK classroom every single day since she started school Sept. 8 because I'm not comfortable leaving her on her own. Today was the first day I planned to work on my laptop at a community centre across the street, but I changed that plan when I noticed that the teacher wasn't there. After finding out that the substitute teacher was not even aware of my daughter's allergies, I couldn't exactly walk out... :?

Take care,
Lee

P.S. I thought I would reproduce the full ingredients list for Pentacel and Quadracel here in case anyone wants or needs to see them:

[START EXCERPT]
Pentacel ingredients: Lyophilized Haemophilus b Conjugate Vaccine (bound to tetanus protein) -- Act HIB, and is to be reconstituted with Component Pertussis Vaccine and Deiphteria and Tetanus Toxoids Adsorbed combined with Inactivated Poliomyelitis Vaccine -- Quadracel.

- Each .05 ml. dose of Act-HIB contains purified capsular polysaccharide covalently bound to tetanus protein .
- Each .05 ml. dose of Quadracel contains pertussis toxoid, filamentous hemagglutinin, fimbriae, pertactin(a membrane protein), diphtheria toxoid, tetanus toxoid(inactivated with formaldehyde), aluminum(.33mg), purified inactivated poliomyelitis vaccine: Type 1(Mahoney); Type 2(M.E.F.1); Type 3(Saukett); and 2-phenoxyethanol 0.6% + 0.1% added as preservative. The vaccine also contains 20 ppm Tween 80, less than 0.05% human albumin, and less than 1 ppm bovine serum. Trace amounts of polymyxin B and neomycin may be present from the cell growth medium. The three poliovirus types are inactivated by formalin (formaldehyde) and are grown on human diploid cells derived originally from aborted human fetuses. (Source: Compendium of
Pharmaceuticals and Specialties 1999)
[END EXCERPT]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 pm 

My friends little guy has had all his pentacel up to date (he is 3 and due in one year for a booster.) I am just curious what bovine serum comes from. There are more parts to a cow than just milk and beef...so I'm thinking it must be from a different part of the cow not classified as milk or beef.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:37 pm 

Good questions about the bovile serum. I have no idea, but will definitely raise this with Vadas when I see him. I'll also ask about the albumin, since the name worries me a bit.

Anyone else out there with food-allergic kids who also reacted to vaccines?

Post subject: Pentacel tests
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:55 pm 

Hi Saskmom,

I've been meaning to let you know that our doc (Vadas) has decided to test my daughter for each of the different ingredients in Pentacel. I had been told that this was not possible, but apparently Vadas has been able to work with the pharmacy at St. Michael's in Toronto to isolate each ingredient. My daughter will receive a first round of tests this Monday. If we can find out what caused the reaction then we can eliminate any other vaccines containing the same ingredient, and bring her up to date on the ones that don't.

Any progress on your end?

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:38 pm 

No progress. She is due for her four year booster in march. Other than that she will miss that needle she is up to date. Testing the ingredients of the immunization...that's great news, maybe I can swing that too. Please let me know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:04 am 

Hi Lee and Saskmommy,

I received a notice that my daughter's immunizations needed to be brought up to date. I called the Health Dept. and told them I was hesitating because of her reactions and the fact that we didn't know what caused them. I was told to just come to the Health Dept. and fill out an exemption form for conscience reasons, that this would be easier than getting a medical exemption and that they would leave me alone after. Perhpas you can do the same if you want to skip the whole dilemma.

(I ended up not doing iit because our allergist said it was okay for her to get immunized.)

On another thought, I have a personal theory that immunizations are responsible for causing allergies. Children get more and more immunized nowadays and perhaps for some of them the immune system just goes wacky. The fact that there are so many types of immunizations nowadays is the one thing that differs from previous generations. It would be interesting to compare the percentage of allergic children in non-immunized communities (such as Mennonites) to allergic children in immunized communities. Just my theory, though...

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:45 am 

That raises an interesting point that I've been meaning to ask about. Are vaccines usually cited as part of the hygiene hypothesis? It's common to hear about cleanliness being theoretically responsible for the immune system having less to do (and therefore casting around for other jobs -- like fighting off milk or peanuts), but do doctors who accept this hypothesis also consider vaccines to be part of the bigger picture (e.g., something that adds to immune systems being left without natural enemies)? It would seem to make sense, but I haven't heard it stated explicitly. I have wondered whether this might be due to the fact that most doctors strongly support public vaccination programs and do not want to contribute to any of the criticisms that are out there.

Saskmom, I'll keep you posted re. the testing. I'm really hoping Vadas is able to figure this one out. Despite my reservations about vaccines, I would like to get her up to date.

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:51 am 

Here is an interesting link on the topic of immunizations and anaphylaxis:

http://www.vran.org/vaccines/anaphylaxi ... ne-ana.htm

Food for thought...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject: wow
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:22 am 

Couldn't stop reading that letter from Rita Hoffman. What an amazing research job she has done. Thank you for passing that along. This is perfectly timed. I will study the letter and make sure I have good questions for Vadas when we start testing the Pentacel ingredients on Monday.

Much appreciated.

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am 

Thanks Nicole. That was very interesting.