You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mango
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:37 pm 

I am wondering if any tree nut allergy sufferers have had trouble with mango ( it's in the same family as cashew and pistachio). My allergist said it was ok to eat but I am still hesitant even though my daughter ate it before being diagnosed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:31 pm 

I haven't had any trouble in the past with mangos (of course it's been a while since I've eaten one), but I have a similar question: what about avacados? I'm starting to think I may have an allergy to them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:55 pm 

Are they in a nut family?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 pm 

Our son has multiple food allergies, and is still able to eat a very wide range of foods, but I've been afraid to ever feed him mango or avocado because I've heard people "can" be allergic to these. I must admit, as soon as I hear of the potential for any sort of allergic reaction, we don't even go there! I mean, we can live without mango and avocado (although, I love both, and I like to make sushi with avocado - oh well...). So, I cannot offer you any guidance as to whether to safely eat mango if you have a tree nut allergy. Why don't you ask your allergist?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:58 pm 

oops, sorry gem... I just realised you already indicated you've talked to your allergist about this. Sorry I can't help you out any further. If you really want to try it, why don't you try it while sitting in a hospital parking lot (with your Epipen nearby of course!) I've heard of people doing this when they're hesitant to try a new food they feel may be of concern.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:12 pm 

My allergist said the potential for a reaction would only be if you were eating the seed/pit of the mango. I am just curious to know if anyone had any reactions to the fruit itself or if I am overeacting.

I had no idea about avocado being an allergen.

Post subject: fine
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:42 pm 

I eat mago with no problem and my treenut allergy is life threateningt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:15 pm 

Hi there

I had a severe reaction to mangos as a child (many years ago) -terrible hives, vomiting, etc. I have avoided them since. Even the thought of eating a mango makes me ill. I also could not eat cashews or pistachio, they also made me ill. I just recently found out that they were related. Now it makes sense to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:24 am 

I guess if you really wanted to find out, you could ask your allergist to test for it by bringing in some fresh mango.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:39 am 

I'm allergic to mango's but no nuts. I have no problems with cashews (aside from them not being allowed in my home).

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:08 pm 

I didn't know that about mangoes.

I've been giving them to my daughter pretty regularly as they're often on sale. She loves them and has never shown any symptoms. She's never actually eaten tree nuts but skin tested positive for cashews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:17 pm 

My son is allergic to cashews and his uncl gave him mango juice without knowing that they were related. He has also tried mango (before we knew about his cashew allergy) and had no reation either time. That being said, there is no way to determine what your reaction would be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:41 am 
Site Admin

It's a form of cross-reactivity - but I, too, would ask my allergist. Not everyone allergic to one thing in an allergen family cross-reacts with all the others in that family. (i.e. I'm allergic to soy and peanut but can eat other legumes.)

I found this from a 1995 Spanish study:

Objective: Identification of immunoallergens present in pistachio nut and analysis of crossreactive antigens in other members of the same plant family, specifically cashew and mango.

Methods: Presence of specific IgE for pistachio and cashew nut and for mango seed and pulp was determined by skin tests and radioallergosorbent assay (RAST). The allergenic profile of pistachio and cashew was analyzed by sodium dodecyl sulfatepolyacrylamide gel electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE) followed by immunoblotting. Crossreactivity between pistachio and the other Anacardiaceae was studied by RAST inhibition.

Results: Skin tests were positive for pistachio and cashew in the two children and for mango seed in one. RAST was positive for pistachio and cashew in both patients. On immunoblotting, serum from both patients recognized several pistachio and cashew allergens with a molecular weight ranging from < 14.2-70 kDa. RAST inhibition demonstrated common antigenic determinants between pistachio and cashew nut. Crossreactivity was also found between pistachio nut and mango seed but not with mango pulp.

Conclusion: Pistachio nut contains several protein allergens able to trigger type I hypersensitivity reactions. These allergens can be found also in cashew nut and mango seed but not in mango pulp.

Post subject: Mango and nut allergy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:52 pm 

I am allergic to mangoes and pistacchio nuts as well. Most recently I had a severe reaction to celery, but don't know if the three are connected. I believe the mango and pistacchio nut allergies are connected though. So far these are my only food allergies although I grew up suffering from hayfever and mold allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:21 pm 

I just had a pretty severe reaction eating a fresh mango last night. My throat seized up and I could barely breathe. My wife called 9-1-1 as she saw I was having problems. By the time they got here I was better. This is the first time this has ever happened to me and it was quite scarey. Started doing some research and found this site. Looks like it was an anaphylaxic reaction. Whew ..........