You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:28 pm 

Hi all –

I was told by one of the parents in my support group yesterday that as of this past week, the Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board ( http://www2.occdsb.on.ca/ ) is no longer allowing families to provide the Twinject as their epinephrine auto-injector. The school board is doing this on the advice of Ottawa Public Health, apparently.

The parent in question was phoned by her principal and told this. She tried to negotiate so that they would only ever use the Twinject for the first dose (to alleviate teachers’ concerns about having to administer a needle with the second dose) but that was rejected. The school offered to pay for one replacement EpiPen (not the two that the child would need - one to carry and one as backup.

The parent in question also said that some of the concerns they mentioned were:
- Staff having to administering the second dose manually
- Not having proper waste recepticles for the exposed needle
- Feeling more comfortable having the same instruction for the auto injectors for all students.

I have heard of a similar situation with at least one board in the Toronto region.

Has anyone else outside of Ontario had similar issues? Are there any other school boards out there that are outright saying "no Twinject"?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:08 am 
Site Admin

I have just fired off an e-mail to our school principal enquiring as to their policy. I have checked the school board policy (OCCSB) and found nothing about this there.
If there is a ban, I will inform our allergist and possibly the College of Physicians and Surgeons, they need to know as some allergists write presciptions for Twinject or EpiPen instead of simply ordering epinephrine.
If there are indeed bans, someone should infrom the makers od Twinject.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:51 pm 

The Halton Board of Education (Burlington, Oakville, Milton in Ontario) indicated that the manual portion of the Twinject could not be administered by school board staff. So, though it's not a "ban" per se, it was clear at the anaphylaxis meeting held in March 2006 that the Epipen is preferred.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 am 

I believe it is part of the union's contract that teacher's are not allowed to administer injections, and the second dose of epinephrine in the twinjet is manually injected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:09 pm 

As a teacher with the OCCSB I have not heard of any ban. I am also a tad alarmed at the idea of trying to give my son an injection let alone another child. The epipen is much more 'user friendly' for people unfamiliar with epenephrine auto injectors. I must say that while a ban may be a bit much, I can certainly understand the idea behind it. We are trained to teach, not administer injections. If we all had nurses on staff... We might not be having this conversation!

As a parent (also with OCCSB!) I made the decision NOT to get a Twinjet yet as my son is too young to use it and the awareness and knowledge of how to use a Twinjet is not widespread.
When he is older, I will certainly look at reconsidering this decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:50 pm 

I'm not a big fan of the Twinject either, I'd rather have my daughter carry 2 EpiPens, but you do get 2 injections for the price of one.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 pm 

Just thought I'd add my two cents about administering the Twinject - we purchased the Twinject because of the two for one dosing as compared to the Epipen and when I had to use it on my son in August, it was incredibly easy. The first dose administers just as easily as the Epipen. I don't completely understand the rationale behind banning it -- if administrators don't want their staff to manually administer the second dosage, then don't allow them to. They can request that parents provide multiple Twinjects if that's the case. I understand that administrators want to keep things as simple as possible for their teachers (and I might also go the Epipen route when my son starts school) but really, it just seems as though this ban is a result of "the fear of the unknown". It doesn't do the allergic community any service to support the banning of the most cost-effective brand of medicine currently on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:57 pm 

Hi all -

FYI: The Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (CSACI) has sent a letter to all 72 Directors of Education in Ontario regarding the banning of Twinject in some Ontario public schools. They have also cc'd numerous people involved in allergy advocacy and public health in Ontario.

The letter can be found at http://csaci.ca/epinephrine_auto-injectors.htm .

Among other things, it says

Quote:
It has come to our attention that the Twinject® brand is not being allowed in some schools in Ontario. We strongly suggest that either product be accepted since both brands provide life-saving medication.

K.

P.S. For more information about Directors of Education in Ontario, go to http://www.ontariodirectors.ca/ to see the CODE web site. Apparently CODE is an advisory and consultative organization composed of the CEOs of each of the 72 District School Boards in Ontario; Public, Catholic and French Language.