You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:50 pm 

Has anyone come across advent calendars that are peanut-free? Everyone I have come across so far has the "May contain traces" warning. The last couple of years I have done home-made ones for my kids but it would be nice if there was one out there that was safe..I also cannot afford to order from specialized companies, shipping etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:11 pm 

I bought an Advent calendar from the dollar store years ago - but I still see them. They have a little felt pocket for every day. I can get in two Areo, Kit KAt, Smarties - well you get the idea. (I have two sons!)
I also bought a religious Look and Find book this year.
Hopefully the combination will have them not panting for a Spiderman calendar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:00 pm 

We have an Advent Calendar that I cross-stitched and it came with little wooden ornaments, which are guaranteed completely allergen free!! :lol: :lol:

Kidding aside, I like it better than the candy ones, because the girls are always happy to see it again every year and they take turns hanging ornaments, it's a nice tradition. It works out, as Christmas Day is a cross-stitched baby Jesus in the manger!

If you're resourceful, you could make your own or buy the one that Stefteach mentioned and put non-candy treats like coins, little toys, etc.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:56 am 

i know when i was little i always thought that the hommade ones were WAY cooler then the store bought ones! i mean hello one tiny piece of (gross) chocolate every day (cause let's face it if you don't have a food allergy and you have a couple of sisters you're gonna get a cheap one and the chocolate is never that good), or a bit of a surprise as to what you're getting because you don't know what's been put in... i'll take the surprise every day till xmas thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:53 pm 

I got 2 one for each kid on sale (90% off) after X-mas a few years ago with little cloth bags. They did not have treats, just little bags of fluff, so of course no one else bought them, and I got a great deal! Every year I pull them out and put my own treats in. The like the tradition now, and love having the same big wall sized advents with Hershey Kisses.

I noticed in Starbucks this year they have Christmas Tree shaped ones made out of little boxes - they are super cute - I asked the store to give me the display - they will get back to me by Tuesday. If I get it I will send it to you as my guy does not want it. They are about $20 with the candy in it, but the display had no candy. They said they would definitely give me it for free after X-mas, when everything goes on sale, but they do not need the display as they have lots of the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:18 pm 

I've seen a lot of variety for non-food calendars lately. Playmobile has some that create a scene at the end of the count down, Chapters had a book with envelopes and in each envelope was a paper ornament they could put on the tree. I also so online one that builds a 3-D snowman and I just picked one up today from Costco that has a tree in the middle & draws around it. Each draw has an ornament that can be put on the tree. I think the draws are also big enough that you could put your own treats in too if you wanted too.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:08 pm 

Lego has a really cool one for $25 in Canada. Hard to find, but you can check their web-site.

Kinnerton in the UK has peanut free chocolate, and they have an advent calendar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:59 pm 

Just checked the Lego website and it says that their advent calendar isn't available in Canada :( http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7324
Did you see it somewhere this year AnnaMarie?

Post subject: lego advent calenders...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:58 pm 

Hi ethansmom..I found the lego advent calenders on ebay and they sell them from Quebec for $24 canadian. The seller is rapido2 when you do a search. I emailed him to find out the cost of shipping. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:02 pm 

Thanks shell5968 :) I'll look into that. Anyone else see any of the fabric kind in stores (where you put in your own treats/toys)? I've checked at Dollarama, Zellers, and Michael Craft stores...and no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:48 am 

I was told that last year Walmart carried peanut-free advent calenders.

Post subject: never found
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:02 am 

I was at Walmart and did not find any peanut-free/ They were are "may contain traces of nuts/peanuts" :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:50 pm 

ethansmom wrote:
Just checked the Lego website and it says that their advent calendar isn't available in Canada :( http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7324
Did you see it somewhere this year AnnaMarie?

I saw it in the Canadian Lego catalogue. My friend's son got it in the mail (the catalogue). The advent calendar was priced at $25 plus shipping and handling and taxes. It was listed as *hard to find* but not exclusive to the catalogue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:24 pm 

Thanks AM -- I think I'll see what I can find on the fabric-made front. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:00 pm 

has anyone looked at the advent calanders from laura secord? i was buzzing by getting a latte at the mall and noticed they had some there unfortuantly i didn't have a chance to take a peak at them since i needed to catch a bus...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next