Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I AM A NEW MEMBER :)
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:22 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums... I really enjoy reading your messages :D I am glad I am not alone... it is sooooooo scary :?

I have a 3-year-old daughter who was tested for allergies when she was 21 months old (positive for peanut and mild to egg). The daycare had given her peanut butter on crackers............. I was not very impressed as I had never given her peanut butter. She was so swollen that I didn't even recognized her - I passed right by her! She now carries her Jr. Epipen everywhere. She has just been diagnosed with asthma... she was hopitalized a month ago for a severe asthma attack - she carries her pump and chamber mask. She also has mild eczema since birth. She's got the whole package... which I was told is common for allergic kids.

She is being re-tested on July 13, 2005. Can't wait to find out what the results will be.

How do you manage your fear of the famous peanut allergy? :?:

Have a nice day :)

Post subject: Nice story
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:54 pm 
I really enjoied you story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:32 pm 

Thank you... are you or your child(ren) allergic to peanut?

Post subject: DodoT
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:43 pm 

Be Vilagent and Be Careful. My heart goes out to You. Good Luck with Your Baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:07 am 

Thank you for your reply :)

Once she was diagnosed, I wasn't all that concerned.......... but after doing some research, I REALLY GOT SCARED... and still am. At least my daughter knows she is allergic to peanut --- she will ask before she tries anything new.... she's only 3!

This is the reason I subscribed to this forum... I need to know more... from people that have been dealing with this on a daily basis.

Are you allergic to peanut... or a loved one :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:32 am 

Hi, I have adult on-set allergies to peanuts and sesame seeds.

Will your daughter be starting school this Sept? or next? By September 2006, things should be settling in well with the new law protecting anaphylactic students.

If your daughter starts this year, have you contacted the school yet? If you go in and speak to the principal, explain the situation, hopefully have a chance to meet the teacher - you will feel better about this big step.

Parents shouldn't expect the teacher to grasp everything overnight. Start early, and by the time your child starts - the classroom should be a safe environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:44 am 

Thank you AnnaMarie :D

My daughter will start school next September (2006). Like you said, hopefully things will have settled in well with the new law protecting anaphylactic students... I was happy to hear about Bill 3 :D

I will do exactly like you said and speak to the principal and teacher to help them better manage and understand this scary allergy :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 1:54 pm 

As much as I think we should *prepare for the worst*, sometimes we do get nice surprises.

When I registered my son for kindergarden I went in prepared to fight to have his epi-pen kept in his classroom. They grudgingly agreed the teacher would hold on to it temporarily, but that it would be better for him to carry it himself. I got him an epi-belt and he's been wearing it ever since. :)

I also was ready to fight to have all the garbage cans moved away from doorways. My son has an allergy to insects, and I don't want him walking through a swarm of them. The woman I was speaking with about the epi-pen, asked what he was allergic to - and then told me that they didn't keep garbage cans near any of the doors because they figured it was only a matter of time before they had a student with a bug allergy.

They also stopped using latex - before they had a student with a latex allergy from what I was told.

All of this preparation was done years ago.

Sometimes - the good guys DO win. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:40 pm 

That's right, we have to FIGHT for our kids! That is wonderful news... wow, they really changed the way they use to do things around the school.

The daycare keeps my daugther's EpiPen in her locker... with her Ventolin pump and chamber mask. Do you think I should buy her an EpiPen belt at her age... or should I wait until she starts school? Does your son get teased by other kids because he wears a belt for his Epipen... you know how kids are, they can sometimes be cruel :cry:

Does your son wear a MEDICALERT bracelet? I have to get one for my daughter... but I was waiting to see her allergist in July in case her allergies have changed.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:06 pm 

Hi and welcome to the board.
I hope everything goes well for you all.
Your story is very scary I hope you can recieve all the help from the medical side and some from the parents of today.
Good luck to you all.
It is so wonderful to witness this new being for "us" the people who live daily with allergies and our families and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:05 am 

Thank you for the welcome Kelly :lol:

Yes, it's pretty scary but I must be strong for my daughter... I try not to alarm her. She is aware of her allergies and her asthma... so little to have all these worries. She will ask before she eats anything... or will ask if it is good for her little lungs... it's so cute!!!

What is weird about all this is my husband nor myself have a peanut allergy... not even in our families... where did it come from? Who knows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:40 am 

None of my kids were in daycare - so I really don't know anything about the whole set up there.

My son started wearing an epi-belt when he was in jk. He's a tiny little thing - the smallest in his grade. He only carries one epi-pen (the extra is in the school office), and I've discovered that if you cut the plastic around a chewable benedryl (the kind in the bubble packaging) you can fit one tablet at the end of the epi-pen. :wink: There are also little pouches that can carry ventolin, but I'd think the chamber would be to big to carry around.

About the teasing - yesterday I would have answered no, he's not teased. But, last night we were talking, and he was complaining about his epi-belt. It seems some of the kids (and I can guess which ones :evil: ) have taken to calling him *doctor* because of his belt.

My son does wear a medic-alert.