Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: at home challenge?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:19 pm 

HI

When my son was 7 mo old he tested as a 2 (out of 6) on his RAST for soy. Now he is almost 13 months and my allergist said he can probably have soy. But he doesn't want to re-test him until a full 12 months since his intial test (it has only been 6). So I asked him how do we know? He suggested we buy something we soy in it (not something like soy milk or yogurt) but like a cereal with soy as one of the ingredients. Then see how he tolerates it? Does this seem odd? How do I go about picking out such a food? Does this seem like a safe way to do a food challenge?

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:40 pm 

Yes, that seems odd and extremely irresponsible advise. I would think that proper procedure would be a RAST result <0.35...followed by a doctor supervised challenge.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:16 pm 

Doesn't sound like good advice to me. Not something I would do. How does he know that he's no longer allergic to soy? For all he knows, his numbers for soy could have increased (I really hope not) -- what is he basing his "he can probably have soy now" on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:13 pm 

I agree, this does not sound like good advice. I think you wait for your son to be retested, and if he's negative, he can then undergo a WELL-SUPERVISED food challenge IN A HOSPITAL (or equally well-prepared environment in terms of dealing with an emergency (ie anaphylactic reaction). This should not be done at home.

I know 12 months seems a long time, but this is exactly how long we had to wait between tests. It's actually very common to wait this long. Our son sees a very well-respected allergist, and she, and many other allergists indicate testing every 12 months is best as an allergic condition is not likely to change rapidly (if ever).

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:02 pm 

Even though my daughter has tested negative for peanuts and corn with the skin test AND the RAST, because she has had reactions following eating those foods, her allergist recommended to stay away from these foods until next summer, when she will have a supervised food challenge in hospital, with the allergist, because in her case, the allergy could be happening at the GI level. In the meanwhile, we are avoiding those foods like the plague.

I would avoy anything soy if I were you, especially that the RAST was positive, and I would demand another RAST before deciding on anything. If the RAST is positive and he still says to feed your son soy, I personally would look for another allergist.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I thought it was odd. I have another appt with a nurse at the allergist's office next fri. We are going to discuss whether my son is now headed down the asthma road. I think I may bring it up with her too. Otherwise I might just wait until next summer to see what the results say.

Me allergy to morphine only