You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:20 am 

I went to Loeb on the advice of a friend and POM makes a whole wheat extra moist bread in whole wheat that does NOT have the sesame warning on the label. Not to get too excited, I checked the website (it was Sunday, I couldn't call) and they said their allergy information could be trusted. And then on Monday I called and lo and behold, they are safe for my son to eat!
I suggested they complete their line with hot dog and hamburger buns!

Oh hapy day!
:D
Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 pm 

This is great news as we visit Ottawa often.

I also found out that Treasure MIlls supplies Sobey's in Ottawa with some of their store brand bread. Treasure Mills is Sesame free, but Sobey's bags still label for all the allergens because Sobey's is not sesame & nut free. However, I was thinking if we were ever down that it may be possible to ask for a fresh loaf right out of a sealed box. Not sure if they'd do that - but figured I'd mention that for others living in the Ottawa area since it could be a possibility for other safe bread.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:01 pm 

I can walk to Sobey's from my house! I will have to look into that.

I have also found the POM bread at Sobey's now and Dempsters is making Soft Thick sliced whole wheat bread that is nut and sesame free. When I called I was at first told it MAY contain sesame, but when I pointed out the labelling error, it was checked into and it was fine! Yahoo - now we have a choice. I have also told Dempsters and POM that they should make hot dog buns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:26 pm 

What is POM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:03 pm 

lakeswimr wrote:
What is POM?

POM is a quebec (i beleive) based bread company

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:35 am 

stefteach - I saw the soft slice ww bread from depsters but it had the sesame warning on it. You may want to dbl check the label next time you buy it. Hopefully it went from a may contain line to a sesame free line:) Trying to think positive here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 am 

Sadly, I never buy anything before reading the label. People must think I am incredibly nutrition or weight conscious. Even things I buy every week (like bread) I check. And if I buy three of them, I check all of them. Sigh
I am glad I can read so fast... :lol:
(Thanks for the warning!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:38 am 

Check this out: http://investor.mapleleaf.ca/phoenix.zh ... rol-irhome

Quote:
Canada Bread is a leading manufacturer and marketer of value-added flour based products, including fresh bread, rolls, bagels and sweet goods, frozen partially baked or par-baked breads and bagels, and specialty pasta and sauces. The Company markets products under a number of leading brand names, including Dempster’s®, Olafson’s, POM®, Ben’s® and Olivieri®.

Canada Bread employs more than 7,000 people at its operations in Canada, the United States and the United Kingdom. The Company is 87.5% owned by Maple Leaf Foods Inc. and its common shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol CBY.

Apparently both POM and Dempsters are owned by Canadian Bread (which in turn is partially owned by Maple Leaf Foods Inc.).... I learned something new today. ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:26 pm 

Could someone post the URL for POM's website pls? I know I saw it on the bag when we were in Ottawa and I wanted to see if they have any suppliers out this way, I just can't remember what it was.

Thanks!
J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:44 am 

http://www.multimarques.com/fr/pom/index.html

Heading out thie weekend to Loeb to stock up!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:49 pm 

As Karen mentioned, POM and Dempsters are owned by the same company, which is why the packaging for some of the products is EXACTLY the same as Dempsters. For example, under the PITA section of the POM website, the sandwich pouches are available under the Dempsters name, and the packaging is identical - I've found them at Walmart and my local Longos.

With the exception of the English muffins, pitas and torillas, it looked to me like everything under the POM name contains, or may contain sesame, so we won't be able to use them in our household. I would sure be happy to use the English muffins though! I'm going to see if I can find them locally under the Dempsters name.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:50 pm 

I use the POM soft slice bread white and whole wheat. It does not contain the may contain warning for sesame. I have spoken with them and been assured that they label for all top ten allergens. I read every bag, everytime.

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:46 pm 

Thanks Stefteach! I missed those 2 bread products. I'm going to see if I can find them locally. I don't recognise the bag, however, so I don't know if I'll have any luck. It would be wonderful to have another sesame-free bread!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:53 pm 

Checked the POM bread again Fri - still no may contain warning and the website is pom.ca

Bought lots to freeze.
I like having a whole wheat bread that is not thick like the dempsters.

Imagine - an exciting conversation about bread. Sigh

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:33 pm 

Julie - I called Pom on Friday and they don't distribute out our way. But I saw some Pom fruit cake (had nuts) at Walmart over Christmas so I was thinking I may call their Customer Service and see if they could get the bread. I figure if they're already buying from Pom it may not be too difficult to get the bread. Although I'm hooking up with a friend next weekend who's going to be bring 5 loaves for me!

I also just bought some English Muffins from Dempsters (Cinn Raisin) at Superstore that didn't have the sesame warning on them. It was the smaller package of 6. Not sure if you can have those though.