You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:37 am 

Thank you. :D I collect nutcrackers. (Rather ironic, isn't it.)

Did you check out the alphabet afghan? It is for my grandson - due in December, but trying to make an early escape. I've been stitching like crazy, hoping I can get it done in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:16 am 

I know parents have been making home made playdough for their kids for years but I just recently tried it myself. I thought I'd post because I know some parents on this forum have kids who are sensitive or allergic to commercially made Play doh.

1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup salt
1 cup flour
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp cream of tartar
Food colouring or about 1/2 tsp unsweetened Kool Aid drink mix powder.

Boil the water, stir in the salt and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and add flour, oil, cream of tartar and colouring. When it's cool enough to handle, knead until smooth.

We used grape Kool Aid mix for purple -- it doesn't come out with a really vibrant purple colour but it gave it a really great "grape" smell. I guess if you have really young ones, you might want to just use food colouring as they might be too tempted to eat it!
My son got a real kick out of making his very own playdough -- and it was really neat to play with it while it was warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:46 am 

We have made our own playdough too before, with Kool-Aid. I love the way it smells!

I do lots of crafts, a lot of them unfinished in the basement!!! :lol: Used to cross-stitch, started knitting a couple of years ago (just scarves so far!), folk art painting, have all the supplies to scrap-book but no time, I love to take old pieces of furniture and repaint them and give them new life. Love to make candles too, the kind you melt and the kind you roll (beeswax).

JUST-DON'T-HAVE-ENOUGH-UNINTERRUPTED-TIME!!!

p.s. AnnaMarie, just checked your work, it's lovely!!! could you tell me how to make the bookworms? As a beginner knitter, I think I could manage those, and they're a lovely item for school and church craft sales! It's also a good way to use up bits and pieces of yarn. They're really cute!

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:03 pm 

Nicole, glad you like my worms. :lol: My mom used to make them for church and school sales when I was a kid. This year my son's class is doing MAJOR fundraising (I think they are trying to raise about $5,000) and so I thought of the bookworms. They are crocheted though, not knit. Very easy.

Make a chain about twice as long as you want the worm to be. In the third chain from hook do 2 dc, then do 3 dc in each chain until the curly *worm* part is as long as you want it to be. It will automatically curl. Glue on two googly eyes (I used a glue gun) and put a pompom on the other end.

I'm horrible at crochet, but after one failed attempt, the rest worked up really fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:47 am 

Thank you so much for the instructions AnnaMarie.

The problem is I don't know how to crochet. I do have a crochet thingie, I guess I could find a book or something on line to teach me, then I'll just follow your instructions. Seems simple enough, I'm sure I can get it. I want to make them for our school craft fair.

I'll let you know how I fair. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:22 am 

Nicole, there are some good web-sites that teach how to crochet. I'm swamped right now, but I'll try to remember to bring my book down to my computer, and I'll send you directions of how to do the two stitches required for the worms. If you don't get them in a few days, send me a pm to remind me. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:10 am 

Hi AnnaMarie,

Thanks, you're so helpful, but I did find some good instructions on the Internet and I made one that doesn't look so bad, but at this point what I do need to know how to finish it off. (I read that you are never supposed to makes knots in crochet...). Also, what type of crochet do you use? I find the one I have a bit big, I have a hard time getting the hook through some loops.

No rush though, if you're busy.

Thank you in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:29 am 

Hi Nicole,

I knit and crochet and although I find crocheting easier, getting that first row is always the most difficult. I also tried the bookworms (Thanks AnnaMarie!) but went by memory so messed it up a bit. But I used a 5.5mm hook and I used a worsted weight for the yarn - I think it's about a 4 on the chunky category. To finish it off just cut the thread and pull your yarn through the loop so it does kind of a knot, but it's a finished stich. You can easily mend it in then too and it pulls the knot down a bit so it's not so noticible. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:02 am 

Thanks Mygirlsyd, it makes perfect sense. I tried it and it worked! I finished my first little guy. I will go and get a new crochet hook today and see if that works better.

Thanks for the tip! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:21 am 

Little update:

I have now made a dozen bookworms and they turned out really cute!

Thank you AnnaMarie and Mygirlsyd for your ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:08 am 

Another little update:

The school fair was yesterday and the bookworms were a big hit!

I made 32 bookworms and they all sold out! I think I should have made more, but it's hard to tell in advance. I'll make more next year.

Thanks for such a fun idea. :D