You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:35 am 

There is a good article in Time Magazine about the emotional toll and psychological stress of food allergies.

(I hope its ok to post this.)

Allergies at the Dinner Table
TIME - USA
... state governments to protect food-allergic kids in school. ... principal to intervene when kids at her ... hypochondria, safety and overprotection, parents struggle to ...

http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... 96,00.html

Take care,
Gina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent article! I'm going to send it to our principal. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:41 pm 

Fantastic article! Thanks for the link :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:04 pm 

Great article! Thank you for posting it!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 am 

Thanks. I thought it was good too. The safetey aspect is crucial but our kids little spirits are important too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:57 am 

Just a heads up - at Gina's request I've moved this post to this forum. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:13 am 

This is just me, but the thing that bugs me about this article and the one in Today's Parent (see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1656 ) is the lack of balance. They don't point people to resources. They don't say, "But there is help available."

Yes it's challenging to deal with allergies and all they entail - I do know from personal experience - so I am not trying to say it's easy. But if people have access to resources (information, emotional support, etc.) life is much better. People in my support group tell me on a regular basis what a difference the group has made to their lives. Same goes for this forum. So help does help!!

I think these magazines are doing everyone a disservice by not researching resources and providing a small "inset" (or online link) about that. It would be nice if they would interview parents who have been on this journey for awhile and found some help and some balance in their lives.

The link about hosting an allergic child was good, and I'm glad they included that.

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but the doom-and-gloom attitude gets to me. (But I always was a bit of a contrarian! ;) )

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:09 am 

Yes, they should have included resources. However, I think in this case it was also directed to people who don't know much about allergies, to let them know what it's like to live with allergies. (We need to find a word for non allergic people, like the Muggles for non-wizard people in Harry Potter! :lol:. Any suggestions?)

That's why I think this article is a bit doom-and-gloom, to create more impact with the non allergic people. I personally thought it was a good article to give to my in-laws, because they are clueless (like my brother-in-law who thought taking the Bulk Barn croutons out of my daughter's salad would be enough... :roll: )

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:20 am 

I totally get your point Karen -- but what I liked so much about the article is the job they did at putting the reader in the shoes of the allergic family. I can remember having all of these emotions and feelings when we were first diagnosed (and sometimes still) and I really just wanted people to "get" what it was that I was so stressed about. Most of the time I felt that people underestimated the seriousness of the situation and looked at me like I had two heads (and still do sometimes). People didn't need to say a word for me to feel their vibes -- to them I was just being the "over protective mom", "oh, he's her first child, she'll see how silly she's being when she has another child...". I just wanted everyone to really understand what it was like standing in my shoes for a minute and to see why we needed to take the precautions we did. This article validated all of these feelings for me, I could hear myself saying "exactly" to myself as I read through it. That in itself does a world of good for those that feel they need an avenue to help convey what and why they are feeling about living with LTA, even if it's just for a minute. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one for pity parties either, but I also don't think we should underestimate how the validating of emotions offers support and a life line to people when they feel they're all alone in all of this. I think that's what this article did for me (even this far along in my family's journey). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:28 am 

I agree with you Karen and Ethan's mom.

For me, I'm always glad when an "objective" article points out the tremendous stress that we can experience in our lives.

Sure, sometimes we hardly think about it but at others its reallly a challenge.

I like the article because it gives a little window to the rest of the world, so that they can see why we may turn down certain activites or why we're somewhat tense at others.

On the other hand, I think for "us" , the parents, its more helpful to point out the bright side. We already know what its like in the trenches but we also know that it's still just life, and this is our life. On lots of days and times, allergies are not at the forefront.

And in other ways, we've made so many adjustments in our lives, that our "new lives" are working perfectly (at least for a little while!)

Take care,
Gina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:56 pm 

Point taken about the validation... I have a favourite article from the NY Times that made me feel totally validated a few years ago (available at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... th&pagewan ). And if I'm honest, likely that article is just as "doom&gloom" as the one in Time magazine. It's just that I haven't read it in awhile.

Probably if I'm honest, I'm sensitive because I work hard to make sure families with FAs don't feel like those in the article, and it makes me sad to know that people still feel lost and still don't find the resources they need.

And I do understand (with some reminding) that there are people out there who don't get it (the Dontgetels?) who could use a little eye-opening with an article like this.

And I totally understand, ethansmom, when you say "People didn't need to say a word for me to feel their vibes". I have one friend (who I don't see so much any more) whose eyeball rolling I can actually feel from across the city. Or at least that's my perception... ;) I just choose to ignore it.

But I still think an inset with a list of resources would be a good idea! ;)

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
But I still think an inset with a list of resources would be a good idea!

I agree. I didn't even notice it was missing :oops: .
I guess that's because I'm not looking for one as much now that I've found this website.
I think that we should definately remind the editor that creating awareness is fine but adding an inset of resources completes the article. Otherwise why are you writing it?
Those who are interviewed usually have great resources (Canadian Living interviewed MedicAlert and Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 pm 

I think it really gets the point across about the extra effort that allergies require on an ongoing basis. Now that we have established good routines and found so many good coping strategies I believe our families think that allergies are easy for us. I think we make it look easy and they forget how difficult it is for us especially at holiday times.

I don't want to be always talking to our family members about how hard allergies are. I don't want my daughter to ever feel she is a burden. I love the baking. However, sometimes I want to scream because I feel our families do not get it still - how hard we work to make life normal for our family. All of the extra baking for home, school and to take traveling is very time consuming. I was baking cookies during my staff party last year. My husband and I rarely get out because we do not have a babysitter we trust and our family all live far away. Our lives are so different from other people.

Sorry for complaining. Sometimes it helps to vent. I might send a copy of this article to my family or conveniently leave it around for them to read over the holidays.

Last edited by katec on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:11 pm 

No, you're right Kate - I do think sometimes you get so used to it that it feels normal. But this morning I was having a right little fit about having to make granola bars and feeling pretty sorry for myself. It is hard at times.

The good thing is that this is a place where you can vent. I know I try hard to look on the bright side but please don't feel that you can't vent here - you can!! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:37 pm 

Hey gang -

A propos of this article...

One very interesting comment was: "Several hospitals around the country [in the U.S.] are in the process of developing psychiatric programs specifically for families with food allergies."

I hadn’t heard about this before, nor had others I spoke to about it. I'm curious: if your local hospital had such a program, would you use it?

You can answer this question by participating in the new survey on my support group's web site. Go to http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/ and look at the top right of the page.

K.