You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:24 pm 

I love using parchment paper when I'm baking (instead of Pam or greasing a pan). Maybe it would work for these so they don't stick to the bottom of the pan.

I have not yet made this recipe, but after reading all the rave reviews, I HAVE to try them now! Thanks for the tips on where to purchase the wheat germ.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:44 pm 

We use Nuvel (Quebec brand) margarine and Kretschmer (Quaker) wheat germ . To be honest, I've never seen any other kind of wheat germ brand. I'm assuming that Quaker bought out the Kretschmer company, but don't really know. At least we know that Quaker is allergy aware.

I will try a slightly cooler oven as well. I might try adding some Rice Krispies too - I noticed that the Quaker Chewy bars have some in them the other day.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:45 pm 

Julie - that's what I was thinking of using next time - parchment paper.

This is starting to sound like a good joke: How many food-allergic folks does it take to make granola bars? :lol:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:18 pm 

I tried the granola bars using a cooler oven and shortening instead of margarine. The recipe turned out fine and they browned less around the edge. I didn't notice a change in taste but my husband thought there a little taste difference. The bars stayed together better and crumbled less. I guess the bars wouldn't be as healthy with shortening as margarine. So I might return to the margarine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 am 

Kate - how much cooler an oven? 325 C?

I'm making them this morning, and I swear, one day I will make these so that they are PERFECT! :lol: (By which I mean - so that they don't stick to the bottom of the pan!!)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:39 pm 

Sorry Karen, you have probably already made your bars. I think I baked them at 325. Maybe even lower - I forget. Did you try the rice krispies? How much did you add? I am very excited I found holiday krispies to make squares. Last year I could not find them anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:50 pm 

That's what I did. With a lot of parchment paper and a lot of spray... Baked them for 30 minutes at 325 and while the outside wasn't over-brown this time, the middle wasn't very cooked and they still sort of fell apart a lot. At one point I was ranting and raving to my husband about how other people can just BUY granola bars but I have to spend 40 minutes making them and another 30 minutes wrapping them! It wasn't my finest moment...

I'm going to try another recipe that I have - and make a few modications - and will report back. I think I'm going to try some flour and pseudo-egg (I use flax meal and water and have decided to call my mixture "fleggs" :lol: ) and see if I have better luck with things "binding".

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:51 am 

How about adding some melted marshmallows to the mix, like for rice krispies squares? Would that make them stickier? You might not even need to bake them, then.

Just a thought. (But please, please don't sue me if it doesn't work! :cry: )

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:16 pm 

That's not a bad idea. I might try it.

I do add marshmellows (minis cut in half) to make a sort of Rocky Road version when combined with choc chips - but it's more that the bars are not binding together - they sort of pull apart easily.

Anyway, like I said I'm going to try this other recipe first and see what happens.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:53 pm 

This recipe is a keeper. I made one batch mini marshmallow/chocolate chip and another batch white chocolate chip/dried cranberry (ocean spray is the only nut free brand I've found).

I see that this recipe was posted years ago but thanks anyway..for the recipe and the baking tips. It easy and tastes great! I had no problem keeping the bars together, I cut them in the pan then let them chill for an hour before taking out and individually wrapping them to freeze.
:D

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish