You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kellogg's cereal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:38 am 

I know Kellogg is a responsible company but I can't help wonder if it would be safe for me to eat Corn Flakes. Frosted flakes says that they may contain traces of peanuts because of the Honey nut Corn Flakes. I phone Kellogg years ago to ask about it and they said it is because the Honey Nut and the Frosted Flakes are produced on the same machine. Now, I wonder what of the Corn Flakes? They contain no warning labels but since it the same basic corn flake, I'm paranoid that there would be a risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:54 pm 

Kellogg's Canada is one of the first companies I ever trusted. And I still do.

I don't know specific about these cereals, but I do know that I have spoken with them (years ago) and there were some cereals that were produced in nut-free areas, and then transfered to another area for packaging and the packaging area was not nut-free and so a warning was put on the label. It could be that all the flakes are produced in the same facility, but the coating is put on in a separate area/facility and therefore the frosted flakes need a warning but the regular flakes don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

I tend to agree with AnnaMarie. The cornflakes were made first and packaged separately. They wouldn't come in contact with the nuts.
:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:38 pm 

I noticed last week that Cinnamon Frosted Flakes don't have the peanut warning. I will get a few days off in may, I will call them to inquire about the Corn Flakes and the Cinnamon Frosted Flakes and tell them about my concern of the Honey Nut and Frosted Flakes contamination to these other two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:30 pm 

I am holiday so I called Kellogg's today. Good news is they confirmed that the Corn Flakes are safe for me to eat because they are not made on the same production line than the other two. They also told me that from now on, there will no longer be a warning on the Frosted Flakes because there will no longer be peanuts in the Honey Nut Corn Flakes. They are putting in artificial flavor.

Now I am paranoid (we already established that) what would be the reaction of someone like me who's allergic to peanuts if by a string of bad luck something with articifial flavour peanuts came in contact with my food, like if I buy Frosted Flakes again? I'm just curious if anyone has any idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:42 am 

Youngvader, if Kellogg's can guarantee that there are no peanut or nut-derived ingredients in the artificial flavouring I think it should be okay. Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:29 am 

youngvader, that's a valid concern. I worried for a long time about *artificial flavour*. I mean - even if it's artitifical, there's something in it - so what is that something?

There was a discussion on this board about Dare cookies. The package says peanut/nut free - and they are almond cookies and listed under ingredients is *almond flavour*. Turns out - there is no almond in the flavouring. It comes from something else, and is actually tested for almond protein, so it truly is free of nuts.

I'm not sure what *nut flavour* is used in Kellogg's Honey Nut Corn Flakes. I'm sure it is safe (based solely on my trust of this particular company), but, I've just sent them an e-mail. I checked their web-site, and the Corn Flakes are no longer called *Honey Nut* it's called *Honey Crunch*. However, it does still say it has "the delicious flavour of nuts". There are no nuts listed in ingredients - just *simulated flavour*. So, I've sent them an e-mail asking what is in that. I will post it here if I get a response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:56 pm 

Did you hear about the artificial flavour thing?

Until then, I am eating Corn Flakes (which are made on a different production line than Frosted Flakes or Honey Nut).

Post subject: Special K cereal- OK?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm 

Just wondering about Special K cereal......
Packaging does not state anything re allergens ( Nuts)
Anyone knows?
Thanks.
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 am 

Well, apparently Kellogg's didn't get back to me. And I completely forgot about it. :oops:

However, I did just check their web-site. I looked up cereal and you can click on individual cereal and it lists the ingredients, allergy warnings, and whether or not it's Kosher.

Shairose, here is Special K http://www.kelloggs.ca/cgi-bin/klog-can ... &company=2

OK, I just called Kellogg's 1-888-876-3750 and the gentleman that I spoke with said that they label *may contain* statements for the top 8 allergens, if there is a risk of cross contamination. They do not use sesame seeds in any of their products, so there is no warning for that.

Also, I was looking through the site www.kellogs.ca and the only cereal I saw with any nuts was MUSLIX which all have almond. I'm going to look around at their other (non=cereal) products.

Post subject: Re Special K
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:11 pm 

Anna Marie,
Thank you for the info. I had looked up the cereal ingrediant listing, and wasn't sure what to make of it, as there were no labels re "may contain"....
I was not quite sure re cross contamination.
You're a sweet heart for calling them up!
Thank you!!!!
Shairose