You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Compliments Brand
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm 

Yesterday, my dh bought several packages of Compliments Brand (store brand) spices. The label had a clear allergy alert saying 'May contain wheat' with a special allergy-alert label.

But he called the company anyway, and they advised him that the spices were produced on a line shared with sesame.

Does anyone know why Compliments would label for one major allergen and not another that can be as potentially dangerous as sesame?

Good thing he called. Sesame is a very serious allergen for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:01 pm 

I started a thread about Compliments brand here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1442
The info. I received from them states that they do label for sesame including any concerns of cross contamination. :?:
The only thing that comes to mind, is that perhaps the company they use for their spices has strict manufacturing guidelines where spices or spice blends containing the top allergens are run at the end of the day and/or they disassemble their lines for a thorough cleaning between processing. While not within your comfort zone for consuming, perhaps they feel the precautions they take during manufacturing eliminates the need for a "may contain" statement. I wonder if we could get them to divulge which company manufactures their spices for them...and speak to them directly?? Might be worth asking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:26 am 
it isn't one of the top 8 - that is probably why. i understand your frustration as a celiac!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:54 am 

It is in Canada. http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/al ... dex_e.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:03 pm 
oh, thanks! my apologies.

Post subject: Re: Compliments Brand
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:38 pm 

Andrea_MASG wrote:
Does anyone know why Compliments would label for one major allergen and not another that can be as potentially dangerous as sesame?

I haven't contacted them in many years about this, but when I had contacted Dominion about a product that had a warning for one allergen, but not for another, and yet a different product did put warnings for that allergen, I was told that becuase they have different companies manufacturing the products, they (at that time) were just using whatever labeling practices the manufacturer used. They would NOT tell me who was manufacturing to let me contact them directly. Said they would get whatever information I wanted for me. Ummm! No thanks.

Now, I think they are actually getting much better about their labelling, but it is still a work-in-progress.

As for specifically sesame -- it is still not in the *Big 8*. It is in the *Top 10*, but not all companies want to add two more allergens to their list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:00 pm 

I gave their customer care line a call to see if I can get their policy straight and the woman I spoke to didn't have all of the information available to her. She's going to contact me within the next couple of days with answers.

What she did confirm for me today was:
They deal with multiple manufacturers for their store brand spices. Plant information will vary from spice to spice.

They label for the top major allergens, sesame included.

She said that all manufacturers must fill out a "specification sheet" for the product that is made under the "Compliments" brand.

They must advise if the allergen is:
1) present in the product
2) present on the same line
3) present in the same plant
4) advise if they have a formal control program for allergens in order to mange for cross contamination

The information I'm waiting on is: Which of the above 4 criteria must a particular product meet before Compliments will label their product with a "may contain Allergen Alert" symbol. (She could confirm that if it was in the product it would be listed, but she wasn't clear on what info. they used to determine a "may contain" statement)

I think once she can provide this info., it'll help clear up some questions.

Andrea -- would you mind telling me the spice your husband called about because if her answers with regards to their policy don't match up to what their package states, then I would think that they would have to amend their packaging to reflect a sesame warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:10 am 

Sure -- I have to find the packages first to get the UPC codes. These were all in plastic packets.

They were whole peppercorns, garlic salt, and a third spice that I can't remember. I'll try to post again with more information when I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:32 pm 

Spoke to their customer care representative today regarding their labelling policy for cross-contamination. She said that if a manufacturer's specification sheet states that any of the top allergens have been (1) run on the same line or (2) are present in the facility, it is Compliments policy to label the product with a "may contain" statement for that allergen.
Andrea, I explained your situation and she conceded that it could have been a labelling error. She suggested that you call directly (if you're interested) with the UPC codes and they could look into the matter further.
Come to think of it, I'm waiting on info for a couple of spices (no spec sheets handy), when I get a call back, I'm going to ask them about sesame as well and see what they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:30 pm 

I'm still waiting on a response from these guys...
I have to say that I'm not thrilled about the "customer service" I'm getting -- each time I've wanted to find out the status, I've had to make the call and still some two months later, I don't yet have a definitive answer.
I spoke with the rep today who said that she has asked for an "update" from their Quality Assurance Dept. on the status of my query with regards to three of the Compliments Brand spices (no up-to-date spec sheets on them) to see if their supplier has, in fact, provided them as yet.
I'll keep you posted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:05 pm 

Mention that there are hundreds of members of your online forum who are also interested. Maybe that will speed things up...?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:12 pm 

Thanks, Ethansmom! I really appreciate your taking the initiative to do this. I usually do so myself, but this time, my husband called them with the label information.

However, they didn't respond consistently, and we weren't satisfied with their customer service, so we gave up and decided not to bother with Compliments brand. I hope you have a better response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:32 pm 

No problem Andrea -- I too would have just taken my business elsewhere...but now it's turned into a mission for me... :wink:
The woman I'm dealing with is very nice and trying to get me the info I need...unfortunately someone in the link just isn't doing their job... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:11 pm 

If I were wearing a hat, I'd take it off to you, ethansmom! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:26 pm 

Wow -- talk about feeling like your pulling teeth!
I called back again today to see if the rep. had heard from her Quality Assurance dept. yet. She said she hadn't received any information back from them, put me on hold for a few minutes, and then said that the three spices I called about were not cross-contam. with peanut / nut. One of the spices I was waiting on was Chili seasoning -- with no warnings about cross-contam. for anything. So I asked her to check the spec sheets for sesame. I tried my best to explain the situation over to her (what happened to you Andrea) and because it's been so bleeping long since my original call to her I had to start from square one with her... Anyway -- the chili spice that I asked her about did not share a line with sesame. So speaking hypothetically to her (because I'm not sure what spice you called about Andrea) -- she said that they do label for cross contam. with sesame and that if the spice shared a line with sesame it is their policy to label for cross.-contam. All I can say, is if anyone else runs in to this problem -- knowing what their labelling policy and process is supposed to be, advise them of the errors if you come across them. I have to say that this was one of the most pathetic attempts at "customer service" I've ever gotten from a company regarding their products. If it weren't for my wanting to get to the bottom of this (which unfortunately didn't end up happening anyway...) I would have just taken my business elsewhere. Too bad too, because I think their attempts at being one of the first store brands to provide the allergic consumer with a consistent message about cross-contaminants was a breath of fresh air. Unfortunately your experience Andrea makes me lose confidence in their ability to deliver.