You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Christmas Baking
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 pm 

What is everyone baking for Christmas? I have made 2 batches of cookies so far - molasses cookies and chocolate chip. I will make gingerbread men, sugar cookies, jam cookies, tarts, truffles and rice krispie squares yet. I also make homemade candy/fudge which is not milk free but is nut free. I take this into work to enjoy away from my daughter. My children have asked about gingerbread houses but I don't know if I will have time for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:15 am 
Site Admin

What's the date?!
So far we've made gingersnaps and 'treasure cookies" (spiced drop cookies with chopped candied fruit). We still plan on making rice crispie squares, date squares, short bread, raspberry bars and gingerbread men (maybe a house).
I guess we'd better get busy!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 am 

Susan,
What brand of candied fruit do you use? I don't make fruit cookies but my mom does and she has asked me about safe fruit. I've never looked for it.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:47 pm 

Kate, I use Dalton's fruit.

I haven't started my Christmas baking yet. People are going to be so disappointed if I don't get going. The ones I always makes are: sugar cookies, chocolate balls (can't remember what their called), peabutter cookies, chocolate macaroons, chocolate cherry brownies. Then, I just keep baking until I run out of time or space. :lol:

Some of the additional things I might make are: rice krispie squares, drop cookies with chocolate and/or fruit in them (I used to add nuts as well, but not anymore), puffed wheat cakes, and cornflake wreaths.

Here's a simple Christmas recipe to add some colour to your plate of cookies.

Melt margarine and butter in a pot (like making Rice Krispie squares). Add in green food colouring, then add in Corn Flakes and mix until covered. Shape into wreath shaped cookies and let set on waxed paper. When cool, you can add *holly berries*, either red icing, or use icing to stick little red candies on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:53 pm 

Anne Marie, Where do you buy Dalton's candied fruit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:48 am 
Site Admin

We have just used no-name fruit without problems but then we don't have the peanut allergy to contend with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:58 pm 

I was at No Frills tonight and checked out the No Name candied fruit out of curiosity and there wasn't a "may contain" statement of any kind. I'd say it's worth the trouble of picking it up and giving them a call - even it you end up having to return it (or call from the store during business hours!). When I previously emailed Dalton's about where to buy their safe coconut, they told me that their products can usually be found in smaller specialty stores (not in the larger grocery chains).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:01 am 

I was getting some at Dominion, and some at Loblaws. I haven't actually been out shopping this year though. I'm really behind in this baking. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:24 pm 

Anyone know of a milk free, egg free, peanut and nut free gingerbread house kit? I've been looking but have only found one at Bulk Barn. It was wrapped in saran wrap and it did have a label on it (no allergens were listed). I am a little weary of buying it. What does everyone else do when it comes to making gingerbread houses? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:46 am 
Site Admin

We haven't done the house just the men so far. I'd be tempted to do it from scratch. You can make it using graham crackers if you can find safe ones.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:48 pm 

I like to try a few new cookies each year but it seems that everything I see has nuts or peanuts in it. Does anyone have any advice in substituting something or altering a recipe so that the consistancy doesn't change if the nuts are just omitted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:00 pm 

Nic, either leave out the nuts altogether or substitute with rice krispies, coconut, corn flakes or any other safe filler that comes to mind.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Depending on the recipe, candied fruit can work.

Oh boy, it's upon us. Time for Xmas baking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 pm 

Thanks to you both! I will have to do a little test baking (no one will complain, I'm sure!) with substitutions.

Has anyone tried a cookie exchange with other allergic families? I did and it went really well. We discussed strict guidelines ahead of time and it sure helped out with all of the work! We were all commited and serious and knew each other well, so I guess that is what made it work!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:21 pm 

would anyone be willing to post some of there favorite recipes? this is my first year trying to get my head around all these allergies that my son has and i feel like i can't turn to my old recipes.

if you have a good shortbread, gingerbread or others please share!! i keep thinking i need to bake and it keeps getting put off.

thanks