You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:50 pm 

Hey gang -

One of our members pointed me to a new book for peanut/nut-allergic preschoolers called "Mommy, Is This Safe to Eat?"

You can see sample pages of the book at http://safefoodforme.com and even order it from there.

I got a copy, and it's a nice little book filled with colour photos. It's told from the perspective of Ricky, who is 3 years old and allergic to peanuts and nuts.

The book goes into details about
- what peanuts and nuts look like (with good photos of them)
- where you might find products with peanuts/nuts in them (grocery store, parties, on the ground at the park, friends sharing cookies).
- how to avoid eating foods with peanuts and nuts

It describes how sometimes it makes Ricky mad that he can't eat things with peanuts/nuts in them. It also mentions how his sister helps keep him safe (with a nice shot of her yelling "No!")

It also has a few pages of helpful tips for adults at the end. (You can see these tips on the web site as well, which is nice.)

I read it with my 6 year old and I found it to be a good tool for having a conversation about allergies.

If you do end up getting the book, let me know what you think!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 pm 

I really like it. The pictures are great and the text is simple. Young children could read it on their own! I am going to buy it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:25 pm 

I ordered this book and really liked it. We have a few other children's books about allergies but this is certainly my favourite. The text is very simple, and it uses photographs rather than pictures. There are photos of a child at the park and the story talks about not eating candy that you find on the ground. There is a picture of the candy at the checkout in a grocery store. A wide variety of scenarios that young children experience.
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.