Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:33 pm 

:D I was really happy to see this article in today's Toronto Star:

"Take Smoking Ban Inside the Home"
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1152136215389

I live in an apartment building, and secondhand smoke from neighbouring balconies and other apartments on my floor is a big problem.

And I hate it when hotels have non smoking and smoking rooms on the same floor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

This was a problem for us, too. We purchased our home in part because of this and in part so that we could install central air. Both were recommendations from our Pediatric Respirologist.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:09 am 

We lived in a basement apartment for about 18 months. Soon after we moved in, the upstairs tenants moved out and despite the fact that the landlord would only rent to non-smokers, the woman who moved in upstairs smoked like a chimney. She knew my son had asthma (the landlord mentioned it to her) - the first time we met her, she asked which of the kids was the one with asthma. She had 3 young kids of her own, so I never imagined she'd be smoking in the house. But she did.

It was so bad that our clothing reeked of smoke. My son began having regular asthma attacks. He developed numerous chest infections. We'd moved to that apartment because we needed to save money and while we did, all of our health sufferred horribly, and my asthmatic son's health was most affected. in the end we moved out because of the smoking.

We moved in May and within a few weeks we were all healthy again and since July, aside from a minor cold, none of us has been sick. My 4 year old started JK this year and hasn't missed one day of school - last September I started a new job that only lasted a month. In my first 21 days of work, I had to call in sick 13 times because of my son's health! It was just awful. We are in an apartment building and there is still some second-hand smoke (noticeable mostly when the windows are open) but nothing like what we dealt with in the basement apartment.

I think they definitely need to apply smoking bans in homes - apartments and condos, any place with multiple tenants!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:23 am 

The landlord really should have enforced the 'no smoking' rule! It's good to hear though that your family is doing much better after moving. I think that non smokers have increasingly low tolerance levels for those who smoke in the presence of non smokers. So hopefully we'll see some tougher legislation in place one of these days!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:23 pm 

I recently realized this as a problem for us too. I would smell smoke and unpleasant cooking odours occasionally in and around our bathroom :? and then I realized that the odours were coming in from our tub and sink drains! A bit of a pain, but we've started keeping our drains plugged at all times and it seems to have made a difference. I agree with you Tara, any place with multiple tenants should be smoke free. Even when we walk out of our unit into the hallways, the smell of smoke can be quite strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm 

Have people heard of that woman in Ontario (Kitchener was it?) who is suing her landlord because she had to move on account of second hand smoke (she has an asthmatic child).

Sounds like Canada (CBC Radio 1, host: Shelagh Rogers) today focussed on whether smoking should be banned/restricted in multi-unit dwellings.

I'm a Shelagh Rogers fan . .. for this show, I do wish that she had managed to get a respirologist or someone on the panel who was more informed about the science behind concerns about secondhand smoke.

Last edited by Helen on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 pm 

i've been hearing on the news that there is currently a bid to make apartments go smoke free, although the mp in question is saying that he would perfer to see "market trends" dictate the move, he is willing to bring it to Queen's Park, most of this stuff ends up having a ripple effect thru the provinces, i for one am keeping my fingers crossed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:29 am 

You can listen to the panel discussion on "Sounds Like Canada" here:

http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/

It will be interesting to hear the responses to this on the program. I can't believe that that one panelist (the prof. from Ryerson) suggested that the whole move to restrict smoking in apartments relates to a "general discomfort" with smoking rather than real medical concerns. This comment was particularly ill-timed coming as it did after another panelist's question about what should be done to protect those with asthma who do not have the resources to move out of their smoke-filled apartments.

I don't even want to start on Brian O'Dea's comments :roll: They are hardly worth responding to.