You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:03 pm 

Hi all -

Lance Hill, a forum member who is a Regional Food Liaison Officer with Health Canada, posted an update on the Peanuts forum about the Canadian food labelling regulations and upcoming changes. I thought it was important enough to repost here:

Lance wrote this:

This project is a priority for Food Directorate of Health Canada. Health Canada is already painfully aware that we have not met past commitments to move on this project. There has been some delay due to changes in staffing and other resources available to the file; however I am pleased to say that there has been some very recent activity to address these issues and a refocus of resources to move this file ahead. Some tight deadlines have been set for completing the required supporting documents.

With completion of all the background work, the first step will be to prepublish the regualtory proposal in Canada Gazette Part I at which time there will be time set aside for a comment period. During this formal comment period, comments will be asked to be directed to:

Mr. Ronald Burke, Director
Bureau of Food Regulatory International and Interagency Affairs
Health Canada
Health Protection Building
Tunney's Pasture
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0L2

We would be pleased to welcome any supportive comments during the comment period and in fact would encourage you to do so. Should you however feel the need to send comments in advance they may also be directed to Mr. Burke.

As information comes available about this regulatory proposal I will I try to post an update here. In the meantime you may also monitor our Regulatory Amendments page on this proposal at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/al ... dex_e.html

I trust this is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Karen - in fact, I was just about to contact Health Canada again to find out the status of the changes.

Thought some of you might like to be reminded of the process for the regulations:
- They first are published in the Canada Gazette Part One, as Lance mentions;
- The consultation period is 90 days;
- The rules then go to Canada Gaz. Part Two, and into law.

After years of delays, HC had expected to be in Can Gaz One at the end of June, so as Lance says this is late again. But getting it to Gaz One is - finally - a huge step forward.

For details about the regs, here's the link to the excerpt from Allergic Living's Summer 06 article: http://www.allergicliving.com/feature.asp?feature=57 I'll put up the entire article later this week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

That whole article is up now - in case anyone missed it.