You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:07 pm 

I have a recipe for banana bread that has sour cream as one of the ingredients. I was told by a friend that it should be kept in the fridge because of the sour cream...is this true? Any advice would help.
Thanks
Ang

Last edited by Ang on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:19 pm 

Hmmm... I guess it depends on how long you're going to keep it out on the counter for. If it were me, I'd likely leave it out for no longer than a few hours. If it was for any longer an amount of time, I'd put it in the fridge in a sealed plastic bag. Or freeze it if I weren't planning on eating it all at once.

Perhaps Lance would know what is safest (he's our new resident food expert!) I will pm him and ask him.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:15 pm 

The addition of the sour cream does not create a food safety concern and should not adversely affect the shelf-life of the product. If you use sour cream made from pasteurized dairy products then this is even less of an issue. The recommendations you see for a shorter shelf-life for baked goods containing dairy ingredients, pertain to those products where the dairy ingredient is added after baking, e.g. a whipped cream topping or cream/custard based filling.

The banana loaf with sour cream can be treated the same as any other baked loaf. However these producst do tend to have a higher moisture content than most baked products which will make them more susceptible to mold and yeast growth from air-borne contamination after baking. Storing in the refrigerator is an option and will increase shelf-life; however you should know that moving baked goods in and out of refrigerated storage will hasten staling. So with longer shelf-life there will be a trade-off in a gradual loss in quality.

I did some quick searches on the internet and found two references that may be of assistance on shelf-life questions.

Food Storage and Shelf Life from www.recipetips.com
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-7-587/food-storage.asp%20-

Food Storage Guidelines For Consumers, Virginia Cooperative Extension
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/348-960/348-960.html

In conclusion, if you store the loaf in a cool dark area, not in direct sunlight, you should reasonably expect a shelf-life somewhat shorter than for normal breads, perhaps in the order of 5 days. This will vary depending on moisture content, strorage conditons and sanitary condition of the kitchen, etc.. You will know you have exceeded the shelf-life if you see visible mold or yeast growth or the product has gone stale!