Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Upcoming Winter issue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Just wanted to let everyone know what we've got coming up in the Winter '07 issue. I really think Sarah Elton's piece is outstanding. (I hope that doesn't sound too promotional; I don't mean it to be. It's honestly how I've reacted to editing this complex article.) If you know any new mothers or (m's-to-be) at risk of allergies, let them know about this issue. It's a keeper; in fact some allergy clinics are already asking for extra copies. Here's our media release:

Allergies and Infants

In its coming Winter issue, Allergic Living magazine investigates a controversial subject: in a family predisposed to allergy, can you prevent a newborn from developing allergies? Writer Sarah Elton interviews the leading experts and finds significant shifts away from what had been the prevailing wisdom.
For instance, most allergists no longer recommend that a mother with allergies alter her diet during pregnancy, nor are they convinced about the protracted avoidance of potentially allergenic solid foods. In an article of interest to all who follow allergic disease, Elton also delves into why scientists are studying those early years to unravel the mystery of allergy.

Also in Allergic Living’s Winter ’07 issue:
- An interview with Dr. Scott Sicherer, top food allergy researcher and author of the new book: Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies.
- Athletes who excel despite asthma - how do they do it?
- Hot Topics: Laurie Harada on lessons learned from the holiday snack tray.
- Simon Clarke's wonderful recipes for safe holiday hors d’ouevres.
- Introducing new features for celiacs, including: The Gluten-Free Girl, Ask the Celiac Expert (with Shelley Case).
- The Healthy Home compares heating systems for those with allergies.
- The Dust Mite - the latest findings on that ubiquitous allergy-causer.

To receive the Winter ’07 issue, sign up for an Allergic Living subscription until November 14. The magazine reminds current subscribers who received a renewal notice of that cutoff date. Simply go to www.allergicliving.com and click the “Subscribe/Renew” tab.

For inquiries, contact Allergic Living at: info@allergicliving.com or
1-888-771-7747 (416-604-0110).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Got my Winter issue today! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:34 am 

I have not received mine yet. I thought they sent them out Dec. 21/06. Do they send them out earlier? That would be great if they did!

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sue J,

Last year's Winter issue mailed later than this year's issue - perhaps that's what you're thinking of. This one just mailed, so Susan got hers very promptly.

With publication class mail and busy Christmas mail season, it's hard to know exactly when they land at people's doorsteps, but I hope it will be soon!

Fyi, I haven't rec'd my test mail copy yet. For those looking to buy the issue at the newsstand, it will be available in Chapter's and Indigo as of next week.

Hope that helps. Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:35 am 

Thanks for the information. I probably was thinking back to last year when I received my copy.

Do all Chapter stores across Canada sell the Allergic Living Magazine? I was trying to purchase another one for a friend in the summer time and the Chapters store I went to did not have any copies to sell. The employee told me they do not know what magazines were ordered and that they are ordered through the head office. I checked back the following week like they suggested and they still did not have any in stock. So I ordered another one online.

I would like to purchase a few more copies for people in my family. Is there any way to find out what Chapter Stores are receiving copies of the winter issue to sell?

Thanks for your help.

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:58 pm 

Hi Sue,

Allergic Living is placed in all Chapters and Indigo locations by a national distributor. The only exception is areas within Quebec that are predominantly French language where the magazine would understandably have limited appeal.

You certainly should not be experiencing problems in St. Catherines.

The only reasons that you were not able to find it may be that it was sold out - or perhps it was not shelved in a logical area. It should be in with health. Often it is close to yoga and wellness magazines.

The current Winter issue should be in all locations by Monday, December 11th - today.

If you can't find it, send me a PM - along with the location you tried.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Peter the Publisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 pm 

Hate to brag but I got two copies! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Oh the perils of publishing - we seem to have had a few duplicate addresses pop up on our mailing list. Trying to figure out why.

If you get an extra copy of AL, please be so kind as to pass it along to someone who would find it useful (and might subscribe :D ) or to your child's school or Grandma..

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm 

I was able to purchase 3 magazines from Chapters today! I still have not received my Allergic Living Magazine in the mail but I know someone who lives in the same area and they just received their copy. I will probably receive it this week sometime :)

Thanks Peter for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

Sue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:11 am 

I always pass it on - to my ex who never gets it (despite anaphylaxis to wasps and a son with ana), my mom (severe environmental - but who now subscribes) or my school VP who is very interested and aware.

My pediatric allergist even sent me a copy of the sesame article when my son was first diagnoses - how is that for service.

What a great magazine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:29 am 

I got three issues last time! One was through my regular subscription and two were complimentary issues through my daughter's Medic Alert membership (one at our current address and one was sent to the house we moved from four years ago).

Not to worry - one went to the local library and one went to my hair stylist, whose twin toddlers have lots of allergic issues. It's always a pleasure to pass the magazine along - it's so packed with great information you'd have to hunt far and wide for otherwise. It's like one-stop shopping, gotta love it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Carolyn!

Last mailing the duplication was beyond our control. In an effort to spread the word about the magazine, we did a sampling of some MedicAlert members and some Anaphylaxis Canada members. As those lists are naturally confidential and never actually in our hands -- we couldn't do a proper merge and purge to eliminate duplicates with our subscribers. Thus, if you had a bracelet and an AC membership and subscribed - well, there was a good chance of at least duplication. We're not trying that move again.

This time, it was just some minor system glitch - seems under a hundred people affected.

Post subject: disney
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:11 pm 

I was giddy with excitement to see the article on travelling with Disney. I loved the fact that the article addressed multiple allergens. We have a trip on a Disney Cruise in a few months, this article is just what I needed. Travelling with mulitple allergens is a huge challenge and from everything I hear Disney gets it!
Thank you so very much.
Stephanie Wanner

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject: US Subscribers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:02 pm 

I'm anxious to see it as well.

Any idea when US Subscribers will get their copy?

Thanks so much,
gina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

Gina and others,

Unfortunately, we can't be terribly specific about the delivery dates. Technically, the issue is not even supposed to have arrived yet. The Post Office suggests that - for publication class mail - delivery should be within 3 to 4 weeks. On top of that, you have to factor in that this is the P.O.'s busiest season.

By mailing December 7, we hoped readers would receive the issue during the week after Christmas. (It's the Winter issue, not technically a Holiday issue.) Before that week is actually early delivery.

So hang on those who have yet to receive - it's coming.

cheers, Gwen