You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 am 

For those of you who have e-belts, does the e-belt have a hard casing where you slip in your auto-injector? Like the potectube? Is the e-belt on the Anaphylaxis Canada website the same as the one on the Medic Alert website? http://www.medicalert.ca/en/images/vao/large/C100.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:50 am 

Ethansmom, Yes, the E-belt has a very hard and rigid outer body that can withstand impact (this is important as our son seems to fall off his bike and scooter a lot!!) Apparently it is built to withstand the impact of a ball, etc. We have been very happy with the E-belt. My son began wearing it last summer when he was just turned 4 years old, and it has never bothered him. We have the one that only holds 1 Epipen. The one that holds 2 Epipens is a fair bit bulkier, but we may move towards that when he is older and out on his own. For now, the E-belt that holds one Epipen is sufficient for rides around the block and to the bus stop to pick up his older sister. When we need a second (or third) Epipen, my husband or I carry them.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:54 pm 

Thanks Julie, do you mind my asking if you purchased it from the Anaphylaxis Canada site or from Medic Alert? The two belts look the same but the one has the Medic Alert symbol on it and I kind of like the fact that its symbol stands out a bit... but I also want to make sure that it is the same E-belt that you're all talking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:29 pm 

Actually, the e-belt is made to withstand up to 1000 lbs. of outside force. I know my son's has withstood quite a bit. When he outgrew his first one, I definitely wanted to replace with the same belt.

I purchased mine through medic-alert. The one sold at Anaphylaxis Canada is the exact same belt, made by the exact same company. Only difference is the logo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:44 pm 

My sons also have e-belts (we purchased ours through Anaphylaxis Canada). They are really well made, and not too bulky (important for us because my sons are very skinny little guys, and another carrier we tried gave them "Santa bellys" which they hated! :lol: ).
We found that we could tuck a Benadryl tablet in the cap part, that way they always have their epis and a dose of Benadryl with them. They carry their aerochambers and puffers in their backpacks or I have them in my purse (along with their 2nd epipens).
Also my sons also really like the e-belts, because they say they look like Batman's utility belt! So that helps too. :D

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:45 pm 

Ethansmom, We purchased our son's E-belt through Medic-Alert. I think ordering through Medic-Alert or Anaphylaxis Canada would be equally good. The important thing is that the person wearing it, and those around him/her knows the Epipen is on their person. My son is the only preschooler wearing his E-belt at school, but he is very capable of wearing it. He never plays with it, and he knows not to open it up. The principal of his school had him participate in a little talk to all the classes at his school to show them the E-belt, read an Alexander the Elephant book, and make sure all the kids knew that they cannot touch his E-belt. The following week, I also presented a short talk to all the children at his school, followed by watching the "Alexander the Elephant" video. All the teachers know he wears his E-belt. We also have the Anatote (both single and double) and I think they definitely have their place, but I prefer the E-belt for children as it will withstand impact. I carry the Anatote in my purse, or my coat pocket.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:22 pm 

I'm also a big EBelt fan. My guys are so used to wearing theirs that they often forget to take them off when they get home. They also love using it as a utility belt, and at the moment my oldest is using his to hang his "Poohs"! (Tiny hanging Winnie-the-Poohs are all the rage here...)

It's too bad they don't make it in a more feminine colour for little girls, though. They would have increased sales if they had one available in pink, if my support group is anything to go by...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 am 

I just ordered the one from Medic Alert for our daughter. She'll be starting JK in September so I'd like her to get used to wearing it before she starts school. She's pretty picky so I got her involved in the buying process, showed it to her, told her what it was and asked if she wanted it, which she did.

Plus I think it's good practice to have it on her person now anyways. I always bring it with us and leave it in the playroom at the gym, but have often forgotten it and had to go back to get it, luckily it's the "spare" so we still have one. My daughter gets very upset too when she learns we forgot her Epipen at the gym. She's getting better at remembering, but it would be a lot easier if it was just on her so I'm looking forward to getting it.

I think if it was pink or purple she'd probably want to wear it even more - great idea:)

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:02 pm 

Thanks everyone - I know what my next purchase will be :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:41 pm 

I wish the ebelt came in pink or purple also. We bought a KozyEpi but an ebelt would fit more snug and securely around the waist. Right now my daughter likes her KozyEpi with flowers but as she gets older I think she will want an ebelt.