Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:18 pm 

Hello Everyone!

I have been coming to this site for a few months now and have really enjoyed reading everyone's comments and suggestions to other users.

My daughter was diagnosed with a PA/TNA when she was just over the age of 2 (She is now 5). We were at a relatives house and she was given some peanut butter on toast for the first time. She had one tiny bite of the toast and almost instantly reacted. Her face started to swell, welts appeared below her eyes and her asthma started to flare up. I immediately gave her Benydryl and drove her to the ER where I worked in the admitting department. I called to let them know I was bringing her in and she was having an allergic reaction and when we got there, they had a monitored bed waiting for us. They were able to stop the reaction and a few hours we were discharged with an epi-pen script in hand.

We then had an appointment with the allergist who was very caring and informative. She had a RAST test done and her score came back to be 96 out ot 100. The allergist made sure that we understood how to give the epi pen and never hesitate to give to our daughter if we believe she might be reacting to something.

Our lives have changed because of this but we believe that there is a reason for everything. She is very good at carrying her epi pen in her fanny pack and knows to ask an adult to check the ingredients if mommy or daddy are not there. Her school has even gone peanut free this year because there are 7 children that need to carry epi-pens in the school. The principal is new this year to the school and is always open for discussion when it comes to my daughter and her peanut allergy.

I was really excited when I found out there was a new magazine called Allergic Living in Canada. I have never missed an issue and always look forward to the next issue. Keep up the good work! :D

I look forward to chatting with everyone! :D

Sue Janzen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 am 

Welcome Sue!
It's great that you knew exactly what you needed to do having worked in the ER -- my son's RAST for peanut was also really high at 90 out of 100. I look forward to sharing stories and advice. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:11 am 

Hi Sue - Nice to have you officially aboard.

It's good to hear stories where people get the help they need in a timely manner. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:16 am 
Hi Sue, I'm from St. Catharines, too. :)