You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:17 pm 

Quote:
Tucked discreetly into this week's federal budget is a proposal that Ottawa impose a fee on purchases of new SUVs and other large vehicles while offering rebates to people who buy smaller, more fuel-efficient cars.

The new "feebate" could reduce sales of "fuel-inefficient vehicles" such as trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles, the budget document released Wednesday suggests.

"The program could be designed to be revenue-neutral for the government," the budget says. "Over time, a feebate could contribute to the improvement of the fuel efficiency of vehicles purchased in Canada, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and improved air quality."

Awesome!

Full story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:55 am 

I second your awesome. Something's gotta be done. The criticism is that this feebate targets families. Yeah, well we all used to get along with small and mid-size cars, kids, dogs, hockey equipment and all.

And it is not just families buying SUVs. If you live in a big city, check out how many are being driven around by one person. Why does he/she need enough vehicle space to transport a canoe? Do we expect a set of rapids to break out in Toronto at Yonge and Bloor?

People with allergies should be particularly worried about the environment. Researchers are finding more and more links between car exhaust (sulphur dioxide and nitrous oxides) and environmental allergies and asthma. It's time to get serious about this. Way to many people look at an SUV as a cool, trendy vehicle. Think again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:52 pm 

Quote:
Researchers studying global warming's impact on plant growth expect more severe sneezy and sniffly springs and summers ahead.

New studies suggest that global warming, which has been linked to a sharp jump in greenhouse gases produced by cars and power plants, is driving up pollen counts, especially in cities.

A Maryland agricultural researcher has found that increased levels of carbon dioxide, the most significant greenhouse gas, not only cause more weeds to grow but also actually encourage each individual weed to release more pollen.

“We're already seeing this impact directly on weeds and trees,” said Paul Epstein, associate director of the Center for Global Health and the Environment at Harvard University. “We are now beginning to suspect it's playing a role in the doubling and tripling of asthma rates in the U.S. since the 1980s.”

Interesting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:32 pm 

Sorry, but I drive a truck. With having kids with numerous food allergies any travel or vacations was impossible. We bought a truck and fifth wheel so we can travel with our own kitchen, and yes I do feel bad about the gas emitions (sp). I just hated the thought of never taking our kids anywhere, and having them grow up without memories of spending vacations together as a family.

However, my husband travels a lot for work and drives an extremely fuel efficient car. I drive the truck very little, only running the kids here and there, and if we go anywhere out of town and don't need the kitchen we take the car since we keep car seats in each. We also use the car for running around town and when ever we can when my husband is home.

This year we are hoping to park the fifth wheel at a near by lake so we can drive up on weekends with the car, but we do need the truck for hauling it here and there, so it needs to be one of our two vehicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:06 am 

Well, if you actually need a truck that's another thing. What I find objectionable is when people buy SUVs because they are markers of status but a fuel-efficient small car would do just as well.