You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:18 am 

Just in time for Christmas - this is a family staple. Egg/Peanut/Nut Free.

Curious about the name - it will become apparent shortly!

These Cinnamon Buns require no baking knowledge or skill what so ever! The only caution, keep the recipe handy if you serve them to anyone outside your home - guaranteed you'll be asked for it!

REMEMBER! Always check the ingredients you use to ensure it will be safe for your specific allergies.

24 Frozen Dough Balls (These are available in the freezer section of your grocer, with the frozen pie crusts, filo dough, etc. They are about the size of golf balls and may be called Frozen Dinner Rolls.) Safeway brand are egg and penaut/nut free.
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Vanilla Instant Pudding Powder (do NOT prepare the pudding - you use just the powder)
1-2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Raisins (optional - I prefer without)
1/2 Cup Melted Butter (Go for the gusto, don't use margarine!!!)

Just before going to bed the day before you want to enjoy these little pearls of joy, do the following.

Grease a bundt pan. If you don't have one, two loaf pans will do, but the effect won't be quite the same. Place the frozen dough balls in the pan - spacing as evenly as you can. Sprinkle the remaining ingredients in order onto the frozen balls in the order given. DO NOT STIR! Cover with a damp tea towel (not one you're very fond of as it will get stained with the cinnamon). Let stand overnight as you go to the "Land of Nod". Have a restful sleep.

In the morning when you wake up, the buns will have risen to the top of the pan. Preheat the oven to 350. Make coffee. Bake the buns for 25 minutes. Read the paper or crawl back into bed. Remove the buns from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Invert (tip over) onto serving platter. If you don't let them stand 5 minutes, the butter goo will be runny. If you let it stand longer, it will all stick to the pan. 5 minutes seems to be the happy medium.

Wait a few more minutes before letting the scavengers in. Just pull off the buns and keep plenty of napkins near by. Enjoy. These have become another Christmas tradition in our home. As well as Easter, Thanksgiving, birthday, etc, etc. I also take them into the office for a special treat for my co-workers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:07 am 

Thanks mharasym, I'm a sucker for warm cinnamon buns and have yet to attempt them at home. Your recipe looks very easy and if they taste as good as you say, we'll have another Christmas tradition in our family too! :D (I hope I can find those dough balls, I don't think I've ever seen them...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:12 pm 

This recipe sounds great... I'm going to make them too! I just wanted to check on the cinnamon measurements - is it really 1-2 tablespoons, or 1-2 teaspoons?

Thanks.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm 

Hey Ethansmom - not sure if you have Safeway out east, but they are usually in the frozen food section near the pie crusts, phyllo dough, etc - at least that's where I've seen them.

Julie - I use at least one tablespoon and probably pretty close to two - I've made them so often now I honestly don't measure but it's definately not teaspoons. I know it sounds like alot, but don't forget you're making 2 dozen cinnamon buns!

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 pm 

No I've never seen a Safeway out this way. Let's hope one of my grocery stores carry them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:28 am 

For those of you who don't have a Safeway like me and if you're "only" dealing with peanut/nut allergies, Pillsbury makes yummy ones with Cinnabon now.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:58 pm 

I searched high and low but only found frozen dough balls made in Sobey's bakery :( . I ended up trying a recipe for sweet bread dough with my bread maker and turned them into cinnamon buns. A little more labour intensive (and time consuming) but they turned out fabulous! Hopefully I'll eventually find them and be able to try this recipe in the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:54 pm 

Thanks for this very yummy recipe! We made it Christmas morning, and it was a hit. I made the dough in my bread maker (2 lb loaf size) several days before (we make all of our own bread since we are dealing with sesame allergy), and divided up the dough into 2 loaf pans (I don't have a bundt pan). I put the loaf pans into the freezer with the dough balls inside. I just made a half recipe Christmas morning because we're not big breakfast eaters - and we still had leftovers. We loved it and I would make it again. I did end up cuttin back on the cinnamon - I only used 1/2 a teaspoon for the half recipe, and that was perfect for us - just a personal preference. That's the beauty of many spices and flavourings - you can adjust them to your own personal taste.

Thanks again!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:46 am 

Julie I never even thought about using the home made bread dough to make the recipe :roll: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:03 pm 

Glad you gave it a try - it's too bad you can't find the frozen buns - that's what makes it so easy (and fool proof).

I talked to my sister who lives in Mississauga, and she's never found them out there either! I guess we in the west get a break this time :)

We had 14 people at my brother's for Christmas Morning in Calgary - two batches disappeared in no time flat!