You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: eczema
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:46 am 

My nephew has really bad eczema that according to my sister is getting worse it is flaking now. She got told that he shouldn't drink as much dairy as that is bad for eczema and also that she should only bath him once a week. Does anybody know of anything that will help clear this up for him. Thank you all in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:47 pm 

soap free cleansers are a good start, aveeno has a nice line of stuff if you look at the back of the conainers, and many of them are fregrance free, also you can look in natural health food stores, they tend to have some great things there (i was looking at the one in my small town they have something for every kind of skin)

moistersiers and emolliants are key (from the reaserch i've done) it says to look for moisteriser that are oily rather then creamy, or even just go with vaseline since it's got nothing it that could irritate the skin further (i've not tried this but i saw it a couple of places)

i'm not sure how old the child is but one of the absolute keys is NOT having the bath water too warm (and not be in there more then twenty minutes), pat to dry then imediatly apply moisteriser to keep the moistier from the bath in the skin

some product suggestions (that i've come to love in my own experimentation)

*tide free laundry soap (the box might be smaller but get 37 loads)
*baby aveeno fregrance free oatmeal bath (might be expensive but it takes the itch out, it's also a cleanser)
*baby aveeno fregrance free moisterising lotion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:56 pm 

Momof1g,
Here's a link to a thread on this forum with links to eczema rescources.
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1712

It's really important to get a good regime going and to stick with it. Although long, hot baths can be drying, like dustytiger said, a short (5-10 min), lukewarm bath with a bath oil in it (we use aveeno) will help alot. Pat, don't rub dry after the bath, then follow with whatever medications have been prescribed (we are using protopic and cortisone), then a liberal application of moisturizer (we use an unscented aveeno product). Do this once or twice a day.
It's also important to avoid things that can irritate the skin...such as tight clothing, or artificial fabrics (cotton is best), fabric softeners (we use plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle), harsh detergents, and any allergic triggers that your nephew may have(foods, dust etc.).
I hope he feels better soon. One of my sons has also had a tough several months with his eczema (a long, mild, windy fall season making his mold allergies go crazy), and it's really rotten when it's out of control.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:18 am 

It takes awhile here in Alberta to get sent to people to help. My nephew just got in to a doctor who sent him for blood tests for allergies. My sister will not hear anything back from that for about another four weeks. This doctor did give my sister some cream to use after the bath and some other medication for her to use on him. Their GP actually told her not to bath him as much and not to give him milk that is it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:55 am 

A GP once warned us against bathing our sons with eczema too often as well, but another pediatrician advised us to follow the recommendations found here

http://www.eczemacanada.ca/en/childhood/bathing.php

http://70.47.127.244/eczemahelp/regimen.htm

(which include frequent bathing with liberal moisturizing afterwards), and since we have both our sons' eczema have improved dramatically.
Hope your nephew feels better.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:25 pm 

I'm very glad that he is being tested for food allergies. The thing that frustrated me the most when my son was having horrible eczema problems was that our GP only treated the symptoms and not the root cause, which can be food allergy. (Despite what some medical professionals say!!!) We went through a horrendous time for months trying to just treat the symptoms.

It might be dairy, but it might be something else, so I hope the tests provide the info needed on that aspect.

You will likley get good suggestions from the links provided. A product that worked wonders for us was Glaxal Base. See http://www.brandmeds.com/glaxal_base.html for a picture.

A doctor recommended it and we used to slather it on my youngest after his bath.

We always bought the big tub as we used so much. Cheapest was Costco and after that Wal-Mart. It's the cream that they use as the base in medicated creams.

Something else that my allergist recommended is Oilatum - you put that in the bath.

And for kids that are having a really hard time, there is a medication called Atarax that I have heard mentioned to help with the itch. Perhaps there is other medication as well.

But you definitely have to figure the root cause of the problem, and as I said, I'm very glad that is being done.

K.