You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Kinder Eggs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:07 pm 

hey all...hope the holidays are treating everyone well...I personally can't breath because this will be our first Christmas with my son being anaphylatic to nuts but I can talk about that later!
Please help...does anyone know if Kinder Eggs are nut free and safe for him to eat? I have been trying to get onto their website with no luck.
Any help would be appreciated....well I will be off soon to tackle a room full of holiday nuts, chocolate covered nuts, cookies with nuts, and all the other nuts I also call family!!!!

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:02 pm 

1. See http://www.peanutaware.com/safe_foods.html which states this:

Kinder Surprise
http://www.kindersurprise.com/home.html (link no longer works...)
Notes: Kinder Surprise are safe and produced in a peanut-free facility. Some of the Kinder seasonal products like the hollow Santa are made in a different location and do have hazelnut warnings. Check the website for details.

2. See also http://www.kindersurprise.com/ - click on Info, then Products. It says that Kinder Surprise products are made in a peanut-free plant.

By peanut-free do they also mean nut-free...? I don't know. I would assume that if they are that aware of peanut allergy they would have a warning for nuts, as the peanutaware site says. But obviously assuming isn't always a good thing.

Best of luck. It is very stressful at the start. Keep a close eye on him and make sure that no one gives him food. Make sure he knows not to accept any food from anyone (at 3 1/2 he should be able to say "no thank you - Mommy won't let me"!). Make sure the EpiPen or Twinject are always available. Show the relatives how to use it - that might make them think twice about offering food to your son. :)

It does get easier with time and as they get older and are better able to self-protect, honest. Hang in there!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:31 am 

Hi Ang,

Sorry to hear of your son's recent diagnosis. But welcome to the forum, you will find lots of support and information here.

Thought I'd add my experience with Kinder. Last summer I tried to get some clarification from Kinder on the nut/peanut thing. I couldn't understand why their website states "Kinder Surprise for Canada is manufactured in a peanut-free plant", but whenever I pick up a Kinder Surprise it states "Imported by Ferrero" on the label. I couldn't tell if I was picking up a peanut-free product or not. (Normally I stay away from chocolate that says "imported" due to the labelling laws of other countries.) I don't know enough about the "imported" statement to know if the product is safe for my child.

Having said that, I haven't heard of anybody having a reaction to Kinder Surprise. But I just like to understand what I'm buying before I buy it - Can't take any chances with my kid, as I'm sure most of us feel the same way.

If you'd like to be bored to tears, you can read my communication with Kinder at this thread: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ght=kinder.

As I said, i will try them again. I guess I need to learn to be more concise in my letter-writing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm 

I went to the Kinder Surprise Canada website and fired them off an email about cross-contamination with tree nuts and their labelling policy. I also specifically asked them if their "peanut free plant where they manufacture Kinder Surprise for Canada" is also free of tree nuts. We'll see what kind of information I get.
Also Catherine, if you check out the website for Kinder Surprise Canada ( http://www.kindersurprise.com/ ), click on "products", they have a very clear statement about the "peanut free" plant where Kinder Surprise and Maxi Surprise (does anyone know if these have a nut warning on them?) are made for Canada. So while it seems that the product is imported to Canada, the plant is peanut free. I'll post when I hear from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:13 pm 

Here's the response I received today:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. We understand your concerns and are, of
course, very sensitive to the peanut/nut allergy issues. Kinder
Surprise is produced in a peanut and tree nut free facility. I hope that
my answers will ease your concerns and will allow you and your children
to enjoy Ferrero Kinder products.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations

Even though the packaging on the Kinder Surprise Eggs says "imported by..." -- just ensure that you read the ingredients label and ensure that it states "imported by Ferrero Canada" and / or "for sale in Canada". According to the rep., all Kinder Surprise Eggs for sale in Canada are manufactured at one particular plant that is peanut / tree nut free. This distinction is important because they have more than one plant and sell to many countries. Not all Kinder products are peanut / nut free so just be sure to read the label every time.