You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:01 pm 

It seems a lot of restaurants, including some large fast-food chains, have been switching to these "crispy" fries which stay crisper and retain the heat longer. I work in a restaurant which serves these and on one occasion, after eating a plateful, one woman asked if there might be wheat on the fries. I checked the box and wheat was listed as one of the coating ingredients and her response was "uh-oh", so I presume she had a wheat allergy.

Another woman I mentioned it to suddenly made the connection of her husband's feeling ill after eating the fries (he had a wheat allergy).

We've switched to some which are coated with rice and potato flours instead, but I'm wondering how many people don't know they are covered in wheat? It's something you don't think of when you order fries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:02 pm 

Some also have milk in their coating...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:59 pm 

Didn't know that about the wheat....or the milk. Good to know.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:24 pm 

I know my Husband gets fries at the fry truck near his work I will tell him of this. I know our son ( who was visiting) got fries at the local fry truck and was upset as they were cooked in peanut oil. :(
That is one of my ana. reactions he ate them outside and when he came he in and washed up and through the Paper towel outside with the containers (the containers never came into the house). He was actually mad at the vendor, :x the guy would not let him cancel the order ! Small town, small minds...
I was okay he was careful of me when he came into the house, he never let me put the garbage out all week after that. :D
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:45 pm 

Most of the fries that I have seen from fry trucks are the black and greasy versions that are normally just potatoes (carefull about the oil, most things go into the same one...), but the ones with the milk, wheat and a few more probably are the crispy versions sold in most food chains, etc.

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

Not to mention all the other items fried in the same fat! :shock:
I'd stay away from anything deep fried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:23 pm 

Are there any 'safe' brands fries you can buy at the grocery store to prepare at home?

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:06 am 
I make my own fries (I even freeze them so we can make them later), but I am quite certain some of the Ore-Ida ones are. They list them on their site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:44 am 

I think here in Canada that McCain AAA fries are safe. I'm sure there are others, although there do seem to be a lot out there with a lot of crap in them! I have found that the ingredients list does tell you what it is in them, the few times I've looked.

We make our own since they taste so much better. But it does take more time, that's for sure.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:56 am 

Thanks for the info! I also found a site: Ian's Natural foods that sells fries shaped like alphabet letter without any allergens. I think Sam might be a bit young for french fries but if the fat content isn't too high I might try them....

I have made fries at home before too but my recipe called for an egg wash so I can't use it. What are your recipes for homemade fries?

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:28 pm 

All I do is cut up potatoes or sweet potatoes into a fry-like shape, put them on a cookie sheet that's lined with parchment paper. I toss them in canola oil (you want to make sure that you don't skimp too much on the oil - not too much either - but enough to coat them well) and a few spices like salt, pepper (or cayenne pepper), onion powder, light paprika, while on the cookie sheet. Throw them in the oven at around 400 degrees for about 30 mins. How long will depend on how "well done" you like them and the size of the potato bits you've cut up. My son loves them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:57 pm 
i use the exact same method that ethansmom does. if you have a mandolin, it makes it a lot easier and quicker to slice them.
sometimes we use cayenne, too. and sweet potatoes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:56 pm 

We just cut them up into French fry pieces and deep-fry them. I know I know... bad parents. But they taste so good. (Both regular potato fries and sweet potato fries.)

And of course we eat them with ketchup, and for the potato fries malt vinegar and sometimes salt.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:48 pm 
KarenOASG wrote:

malt vinegar

sigh... i would love a malt-free 'malt' vinegar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:40 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
We just cut them up into French fry pieces and deep-fry them. I know I know... bad parents. But they taste so good.

We do that too every now and again -- my son inhales them. He's such a fry guy.