Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Brand new to allergies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:26 pm 

Hello,

I am a 33 yr old female that has never been allergic to anything ever.... that is untill Dec. 3 2006 I had a reaction while at work.. I took benadryl was fine . later that night I started having mouth swelling and tingling . I went to the er not really understanding how serious this was. After leaving W/ an epipen i decided to go to an allergy doctor. As of 2 days ago I am now allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I have 2 young childrenand they seem fine but I on the other hand am a mess. for the longest time i was afraid to eat anything now in the last month i have learned to read every label .. but am still so nervious.. My husband and children are so supportive but this is a really big lifestyle change for all of us...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 pm 

Hi Melissa, and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you've found us.

You are definitely not alone. Our own editor, Gwen Smith, went through a similar experience with adult-onset food allergies. If you can find her article in the December issue of Reader's Digest (originallly published in Chatelaine last year) you will get to hear her story. And there are lots of other adults with FAs here.

If you have time, maybe scan around the various forums and I'm sure you'll find some helpful items. And let us know if you are looking for anything in particular. We're here to help.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:18 pm 

Karen,
thank you for the welcome I'm sure we will be talking alot. you seem very imformative. thats a good thing. I'm going to do as you suggested and browse. I'm sure i'll be talking to you soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:11 pm 

Melissa, I lost a lot of weight when I first developed my allergies. And, I really couldn't afford to since I was under 110 lbs. at the time. My biggest problem was that for a few years I didn't even know what i was allergic to. Once I was able to pinpoint the cause, it became easier to live with.

I used to have to make everything from scratch, but more and more companies are posting *may contain* warnings on their packages, and since there are quite a few *peanut free* companies life is getting easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:31 am 

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the forum. You will find that things get easier once the initial shock wears off. The more you know, the more comfortable you will feel dealing with this allergy. You will find in time that the peanut/tree nut allergy is the easiest to deal with, because they are the most common food allergy, and therefore there is more awareness, and more and more companies going peanut/nut free, and more and more companies putting warnings on their packaging.

This forum is also full of advice, information and support.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:18 am 

I got nut allergies really late too (I am 29). I had a family history of late-developing food problems (my mom is fine,b ut my dad has nut allergies and I have numerous aunts and uncles with food issues) and only inthe last year started having reactions to nut oils. I skin tested allergic to tree nuts and have had reactions to tree fruit as well (but not always, and they are mild enough to clear up with benadryl). The scary part for me is the whole idea that they evolve over time, so what is safe to eat today might not be safe to eat tomorrow :) It is a tough mental adjustment.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:43 am 

Hi Melissa,

Welcome. I am new here too. LIke someone else said, it is a shock to discover your allergies. It takes time to make the changes you need to, it is a big adjustment, but it does get easier.

Kathi