You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:28 am 

Does anyone know where I can get adult size cute looking allergy awareness t-shirts? (no cafepress.com, they have stupid ones). I live in the states which poses a problem with Alertware, they don't ship to the states and it's kind of a pain in the rear to have them shipped to a friend in Vancouver (a 45 minute drive one way notwithstanding border traffic) to get them. I also looked at Allergators or something like that. Their shirt for women is a fitted shirt that would be way too small for me (built like a fireplug, literally my shoulders are way bigger than my hips, I wear about size 10 pants but 16-18 tops).

I really need to do something to increase awareness around the college that I'm attending now. I tried to get something to eat today as I had to skip breakfast to drop a class and add another one before my first class of the day, and all I could eat was ONE (1) Vegan Breakfast cookie. Nothing else in there was edible for me. :( It's just a community college, but still, I would think they would have a better selection.

I also just got a back issue of Allergic Living about going to college (I think it was Fall last year?) and read in there that the university I'm probably going to end up at, Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA doesn't do a very good job at making things easy for food allergic students. :( I'm currently attending community college in the same city, so starting awareness there would be good as most students transfer to WWU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Honugirl-Sorry, no clothing info here but re: University issues...because you live in the states, pehaps the FAAN website can help you. They are US based and their mission is to raise public awareness, to provide advocacy and education, and to advance research on behalf of all those affected by food allergies and anaphylaxis.
Here are some links that you might find interesting:

http://www.foodallergy.org/

http://www.foodallergy.org/school/collegeguidelines.pdf

http://www.foodallergy.org/Advocacy/adv ... hools.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:39 am 

As far as your college's food selection goes, we've just gotten into the habit of expecting that when we go out, we have to bring all of our own safe food. I'm all for awareness, and I hope your college can expand their knowledge and offer some more safe options for you, but I think brown bagging it is a common habit of the food allergic. Leave home prepared with enough safe food that will get you through the day. This is probably going to take some time for you to get into the routine of doing if you're used to buying all of your food out, but it should get easier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:56 am 

I agree with ethansmom - I have gone hungry enough times (while nursing my wheat/egg/dairy/nut/peanut-allergic son for 3 years) to know that bringing food is a great idea. I became like Scarlett O'Hara after a particularly unpleasant experience early on at my SIL's (where I ate rice crackers and not much else for a family dinner): "As God is mah witness, Ah will nevah go hungry again!"

Taking your own food is healthier too, frankly. Pain in the butt? Probably. But then so is starving and/or spending time in ER.

For the t-shirt: why not have one made up at a t-shirt place? Think of a good slogan and then have one made just for you.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:14 pm 

Oh -- along the same vein as Karen -- making a t-shirt for yourself. I've seen those iron-on t-shirt thingies at computer product places like Staples, where you can create your own t-shirt (graphics / wordings) on your computer and then put the transfer paper in your printer and presto - you have your own "iron-on" transfer. You can iron it on to any t-shirt you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:52 pm 

We've done that to make Epi-Man t-shirts. It's pretty easy - you just have to remember that if your t-shirt has writing on it, the words have to be reversed when you print out the paper - otherwise they'll be reversed on your t-shirt! (But the t-shirt paper comes with those kinds of instructions.)

K.