You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:44 am 

Thanks for the offer Annamarie - but do breads/doughs with eggs turn out/work with egg replacer? Does anyone know that? Perhaps I should post that on the egg or recipe thread.

Actually the more I think about it , yes, please post it and I'll try it with the egg replacer.

Thanks!
J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:39 pm 

I've posted the recipe here: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1190

including the changes I sometimes make. I'm not sure where I got this recipe from - probably an allergy site. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 am 

I haven't been able to find bread/buns for my son to eat yet. I'll be sure to check out some of the brands that you have suggested

Last edited by Momof2Alta on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:21 pm 

Momof2Alta, Hi, and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you're now having to deal with sesame allergy, but those of us dealing with sesame allergy are happy to help! I wanted to mention that, unfortunately, some of the buns previously mentioned under this subject heading are no longer safe for the sesame allergic :cry: That includes the Weston English muffins and the Wonder hot dog buns with the slice on top - they both now include the "may contain sesame" warning. If you are searching for a useable "bun", we use Pillsbury crescent rolls (sometimes), or we make our own in the breadmaker. Actually, we make all of our own bread - with the exception of the Dimpflmeier bakery rye bread, tortilla shells, Pillsbury crescent rolls and Dempsters sandwich pouches (I've found these at Walmart and Longos), and the Dempsters enriched white bread in the foil bag. If I "need" buns for hot dogs or hamburgers, and I'm just not in the mood for making them, we will make a regular 2 lb loaf of bread in our breadmaker, and just use slices of bread. The Dempsters sandwich pouches also work in a pinch.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:16 am 

Julie, do your buns turn out good? I still can't accomplish decent hot-dog buns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:21 pm 

AnnaMarie, I like the taste of our hot dog buns, but they just don't end up being quite the right shape. When I roll out the buns, I try to elongate them, but they still rise so much that they end up looking like a kind of elongated hamburger bun. Oh well. I use the same recipe we use for regular white bread or whole wheat bread.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:49 pm 

I just got my son's results back for his sesame allergy and was unpleasantly surprised to find out that his number were very very high. I'm off to buy a bread maker this afternoon as the bread that he has been eating "may contain" and thats not good.

I hope that I'm able to find some receipes so that we can still enjoy all the family favorutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm 

Sorry to hear that, Momof2Alta... :(

At least you know you are not alone, and that we're here to provide info and support.

If you need some basic bread machine recipes, let us know. I have some really simple ones free of dairy, egg, peanut, nut, and sesame seeds.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:45 am 

KarenOASG wrote:
Sorry to hear that, Momof2Alta... :(
If you need some basic bread machine recipes, let us know. I have some really simple ones free of dairy, egg, peanut, nut, and sesame seeds.

K.

Thanks...a basic recipe would be great, all the recipes that came with miine have things like spices, corn ect. added to them and at 6 and 4, they just loke plain white or brown bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:11 pm 

1. I will post some later tonight - promise. Have to run to the library now!

2. I was thinking we should create a "sticky note" of an up-to-date list of sesame-free breads that will be so-called one-stop reading. Would someone mind culling all the messages in this particular forum and creating a list? If you do it in a normal post, I can then convert it to a sticky that we can update once in a while. (I would do it but I'm kind of maxed out time-wise right now...!)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know about sesame-free breads, but I've just bumped up a thread in the recipe forum for bread machine recipes. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:04 pm 

Thanks Susan. I found that after I my post above.

I've added my three favourite recipes - none of which have any sesame seeds, dairy, egg, peanuts or nuts!

See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... ght=#13204 .

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:19 pm 

I just wanted to mention that I found the Bridor Mini-Baguettes at Costco in Ottawa (The one near Merivale) that Karen mentions earlier in this thread. Yum!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am 

That is very good news! They used to have them all the time a few years ago, but they discontinued carrying them in Ontario. I actually had to contact the main buyer to ensure that they were kept in the Gatineau store.

Anyway, I will alert the OASG members. :) They are a staple for our family.

K.