Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: wheat free chex?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:22 pm 

Hi

You know the chex mix everyone makes for X-mas? Well so many of the ingredients are out of the reach for my son. But I was wondering if the rice chex and the corn chex contained wheat. They do a wheat chex and a honey nut chex (made with almonds). So I figured they probably produce them on the same line but thought I would email the company.

Here is the response:
If one of our products contains any of the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, dairy products, eggs, soy, wheat, crustaceans, and fish) or if it contains sesame, sunflower or mollusks, that ingredient is always listed in the ingredient panel, and also in bold letters just below the list of ingredients. If a product is exposed to any of these allergens in the manufacturing facility the allergen will be listed in bold in the ‘Contains Statement’ just below the list of ingredients. This list is your ingredient assurance for that package. It is not intended for other packaging of the same product. Ingredients may vary from one package to another due to product reformulation. If you have allergy concerns, please read each package ingredient panel.

So the rice and the corn chex have none of the said warnings. Should I still call the company and check that they aren't in fact processed on the same equipment or am I just being too paranoid? I guess I am suprised to hear they are supposedly wheat free?

Has anyone else had any exposure with Betty Crocker or these brands of cereal? I think they are yummy and less expensive than some of my current 'gluten free' cereal brands so I would love to introduce them to my son.

Thanks!

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:18 am 
I have heard that Rice Crunch Ems are similar, but I am allergic to rice and I am not really sure what Chex is - but I hope that helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:13 pm 

There is a new (as of 2004) food-allergen labelling law in the U.S. called the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act (FALCPA).

See the following sites for more info:

http://www.foodallergy.org/Advocacy/labeling.html

http://www.foodallergy.org/Advocacy/FALCPA_FAQ.pdf

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/alrguid.html

Although no system is perfect, if they are telling you that there is no wheat in the cereal, I would go with that. With a large company like General Mills, I suspect that if you call you will get the same statement read to you over the phone. That is what happens here in Canada with the large manufacturers like Kraft and Kellogg - and I like it!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:45 pm 
all of the mainstream brands are processed on the same equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:03 pm 

I would also think that these cereal's are processed on the same equipment. But they did say in their statement if they product come in contact with allergens during manufacturing they would list it. So I don't know. I will probably call them just to see if I can get the person on the phone to assure me that they are not- or they are run first, then cleaned, etc....

Me allergy to morphine only