You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:07 pm 

Hi,
My daughter is 13 months and allergic to dairy and eggs. She has been on soy formula since 9 months and now I am wondering about switching her to soy milk. She is a solid girl (95th for weight and 75th for height) and she eats a lot in terms of solids (she eats more than my 3.5 year old). I started giving her one or two bottles of soy milk a day but given her healthy weight I wonder if it would be okay just to switch her to the soy milk completely. My family doctor didn't really have an answer, nor did the allergist. I know we can see a nutritionist, but in the mean time I am wondering what other people in this group have done.
Thanks,
Patti

Post subject: Soy milk
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:52 pm 

Hi,
My son has also been diagnosed with a milk and egg allergy since 1 year. He is now 31/2 years old and has been drinking soy milk since 2 years old. Make sure you buy the soy milk that is calcium enriched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:38 pm 

My daughter was diagnosed at 14 months and Sick Kids in Toronto told us to keep her on Soy Formula until she was 2. You can buy the 12 -24 month version of the formulas. We really struggled to find safe food for her at first and I am glad that we kept her on formula to keep her diet balanced and meet some of her daily requirements. She was also a big baby but they did not even really consider that. At 2 we switched her to fortified soy milk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:30 am 
Site Admin

If you switch, make sure she recieves an adequate ammount of fat. Most soy milks are equivalent to 2% milk and the recomendation is homo until 2 years of age because younger children require the extra fat. It is esssential to the absorption of certain vitamins and also to brain development.
I would consult with a dietician before making the change.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:33 pm 

My daughter drank soy formula until 3 1/2. The soy milks do have less fat...and she did not have a lot of fat sources in her diet. Also, she really did not care to switch. But, soy formula is recommended until age 2.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 pm 

I kept my son on soy milke until two and a half years. FYI anyone in Alberta we have a program called Family Supports for Children with Disabilities. Through this program I was able to have my son's formula paid for from the time he was one until two and a half. This was worth $85/month. His allergies were considered a disability.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:53 am 

Thank you all for the input.
I will keep her on mainly formula although I do plan to give her some soy milk (So Good original) as well. She does love to eat everything, including all types of meat so I do feel she is getting many other sources of protein and fat in her diet.