You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:37 pm 

We've recently got a GPS and started Geocaching and are totally hooked, so much so our 4 year old demands to go "treasure hunting" every day. Plus it gets us out an exploring parts of our city that we didn't even know existed. See http://www.geocaching.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:19 am 

Are GPSs expensive?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:37 pm 

I actually have heard to Geocaching. For anyone wihtout a GPS there is the older, low-tech "Letterboxing". http://www.letterboxing.org/

I was planning on looking into letterboxing as a summer activity with my girls, and making travle plans around locations from clues. There are none in Saskatchewan according to their map, but there are in other provinces including Alberta...which we're not too far from.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:28 am 

We'll Jeff, you've really got me totally interested again. For us letterboxing was a "well that's kind of neat" kind of idea. My husband and I have been going over that site and now REALLY want to find some. Maybe if it goes well some day we'll go high tech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 am 

For anyone that has done either the geocaching or the letterboxing, is there a way to tell if the route to the cache is wheelchair accessible? One of my best friends and I used to love to treasure hunt before his accident. Now he's a quadriplegic in a wheelchair. I'd love to be able to get back into something like this with him because it's so similar to what we used to do. I think it would be good for both of us. But there's no point in me going out to find the cache to see if the path is accessible ahead of time, that just kind of defeats the purpose. He's getting one of those 4x4 all terrain chairs, but it's still not going to go everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:29 am 

I went to the letterbox web site... it looks like fun. It's kind of sad that there aren't many in Quebec (my area at least) but there are a few. And there seem to be more in Ottawa, which is right across the river.

I wonder if I could entice my family to try this out...? It's been the right weather, up until yesterday, to get outside!!

It's funny - we've been doing this kind of thing indoors at Christmas for the past 2 years, leaving clues for the kids to lead them to presents. I never knew there was an outdoor version until now.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:28 pm 

Last might my husband and I were cheking out the Alberta ones to see where we could go next summer on a vacation that would be near some of them. There were a few in Drumheller...which we were there last summer...just missed it. Funny thing, my husband and I both recall a group of people who looked like they were looking for something near the sign at the entrance to Royal Tyrell Museum. The sign is out in the middle of nowhere and it seemed really odd...must be why we both remembered the people. Turns out...a clue for a drumheller one takes you EXACTLY to that spot! That must have been what they were doing. So...if we do drumheller again...we know EXACTLY where to go!

We're actually considering a trip to Mexico (?) in the next few months for my husband and I. I was checking out the ones in Mexico...and it looks like we could try for a few of those as well.

Karen, there are none near me either...but I guess that means we get to be the first to hide some in our areas...right?

Honugirl, on the letterboxing site you can contact the person who hid the box. Maybe you could contact those people who hid the ones near you that you might be able to try for and ask them if they are wheelchair accessable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:04 pm 

Glad this spawned some interest. We were out and did 3 today. It's funny now as we do them remembering some "suspicious" people lurkng around. The funniest is there is one right at a park by our house which our kids play at almost daily yet we've never noticed anyone going after the cache. Very stealthy.

Most interesting one we did was the Regift-0-Rama on New Year's Day see http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 32d497552d Which was a blast.

As far as costs of GPS they can be relatively inexpensive (relative to what is the question :D ) GPS Central was pretty helpful with us trying to get started. You certainly don't need a really sophisticated one with maps or anything if all you want to do is Geo Cache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:35 am 

3 in one day! Well I'm impressed. What do you do when you find one? Is it the same as letterboxing, with the stamps? Or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:48 pm 

Depends on the cache. At a minimum you sign the log book, you can leave something in the cache, exchange stuff, etc...

Here's my two picking through a recent cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... D=22287871

Sometimes there's travel bugs that you can pick up, figure out their tasks and move along. We have 2 currently: 1 that just wants to girly up caches (a pink bear) and 1 trying to see all the Canadian provinces before heading back to Germany. We have it heading to Nunavut soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:23 pm 

I signed up for a GPS course next month at the local REI (recreational equipment inc.) store. It's going to go over how to work it and what to buy that will work for geocaching. It should be interesting.