You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:57 am 

I had RAST tests done at CHEO in Ottawa for free for both my boys, they did about 7 or 8 allergens for my youngest. They were going to charge me at the DYNACARE Lab.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm 

Thanks for the help. My pediatrician was looking up if RAST scores would be benefinal under one and he hasn't gotten back to me. Can a FMD order the tests or does it have to be an allergist or pediatrician. We have to travel so see our allergist and it won't be til May. But I'd like to at least have my 3 year old done before then sohe can explain the results. She is going to school in September and it would be nice to know how severe the allergy is. I think the babies are now reacting to barley. So more to add to my list .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:28 pm 

My allergist actually told me to get my GP to order the RAST test, so yeah, a GP can order it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:11 pm 

A new questions for everyone about RAST scores. The first year my daughter had this test done at age four her levels were relatively low. This past year all of her levels had doubled. I wrote about this previously. Anyways, at the time I was at a loss as to why they would have increased. We wondered about the affect of seasonal allergies since the test was done in ragweed season.

I had another thought about the test this week. The second test was very upsetting for her. I had to get up on the table, straddle her and restrain her hands. I was talking calming in her ear and reassuring her but she was sooo upset. There were 4 lab techs working on her also. I am wondering if her system being in the "fight and flight mode" might have affected her allergen levels. We are still awaiting a follow-up appointment from this round of tests. We see the allergist in March. The first test at four went very smoothly and she wasn't upset at all.

Any thoughts anyone? Has anyone discussed this with an allergist?
Thanks,
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:34 pm 

My son was the same, meaning doubled and tripled in results. Each time he did the test, he was calm and each time I just held him as if in a big hug. I don't think in our case, his levels doubled and tripled because of how agitated or struggling he was was. His first test was also between the age of 3 and 4.

Daughter-anaphylactic to kiwi fruit, allergic to soy, dairy, trees, grass, cats & dust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:42 pm 

Katec, I don't think the fact that he was agitated would release more allergens, on the contrary. Epinephrine is in fact adrenaline, so the "fight or flight" reaction would probably cause his system to release adrenaline. Just my theory, though.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:47 am 

Thinking about this more, adrenaline would be pumping it is true. I tried everything to calm her down but she was too upset and her 5 year immunization shots were fresh in her mind. Anyways, the thought just occurred to me yesterday about her emotional state. These tests are frustrating because they are still relatively new and there is still so much they do not know about the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 pm 

Well we had our yearly check up last month. My oldest was tested for the second time for peanuts and came back at 0.94 (it was 0.95 last year.) Now...my youngest. She had RAST for the first time and tested 36.5 for egg and >100 for milk :shock: !!! A score of >100 is bad...even though I kind of expected it. Yikes!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:02 pm 

Saskmommy, Your oldest has low peanut scores, is her skin test still positive? I just picked up a new book about allergies on the weekend, Understanding and Managing Your Child's Food Allergies by Dr. Scott Sicherer. He works with Dr. Hugh Sampson and it is well reviewed by the president of FAAN. In one section of the book, he discusses RAST results and says that when a child is outgrowing an allergy, the results will remain the same (at a low level) or decrease over time. The book also talks about why RAST results go up when a child is not eating the food. The author says that the reason is not clear but that the body's production of IgE naturally increases as a child gets older. For example, he says a 2 in a 1 year old might be equivalent to a 10 in a 5 year old. Age might account for some of our daughter's increase last year. He also gives several examples of patient RAST scores over time and discusses when a challenge was taken. I am not finished the book yet but it is great so far. I am writing down questions for our allergist as I read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:58 pm 

Quote:
Your oldest has low peanut scores, is her skin test still positive?

She has not had another skin test...other than the initial test when she was 3. She had multiple environmental tests at age 4 (all negative) a RAST at age 5 and this latest one at age 6. The allergist does not like to do more than a RAST or skin testing each year. Who knows what he'll recommend next year.

I re-read this thread to see where some of the other kids scores are and I was reminded that your daughters had increased. That's gotta be frustrating. Luckily :roll: , I don't have to worry about that with my youngest and her milk allergy...since it really can't get worse than >100. It can only get better or stay the same (I'm trying really hard to see a silver lining here :D ).

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:51 am 
Site Admin

saskmommyof2 wrote
Quote:
I don't have to worry about that with my youngest and her milk allergy...since it really can't get worse than >100. It can only get better or stay the same (I'm trying really hard to see a silver lining here ).

Sometimes it's hard to see that isn't it?

Good for you to keep a positive attitude. There isn't much that you can do to change things, so there's no sense wasting energy on negative attitudes. It doesn't move you forward to your goal (my goal-a happy, healthy child who might just outgrow an allergy or two someday and if not to at least learn how to live and thrive given her challenges).

Thanks for the reminder.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:25 am 

That's really helpful. I've only had one RAST test....I'm class II for wheat apparently.